Whatbird Community

Are these Snow Geese? Mute Swans? – Maryland

Saw these around noon today in southern Maryland in a marshy river near the western side of Chesapeake Bay. 

They sort of look like Snow Geese but they seem too big relative to the Canada Geese and I’m not seeing black wingtips.  Maybe they are Mute Swans but the beaks are more pink than orange and I don’t see black around the beak, particularly a nob that would suggest a Mute Swan, so I’m unsure what to make of them.  Merlin is saying Snow Goose.

Welcome everyone’s thoughts. 

Identify-647.jpg

Identify-646.jpg

I see black on the two rightmost birds, and I convinced myself the rightmost bird has a 'grin patch'.  I think they're Snow Geese from the large end of the size spectrum, hanging out with small Canadas.

5 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

They are nothing ignore them

I'm guessing the response indicates AlexHenry thinks they domestics.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

Not sure why I’m getting the confused emoji on this. They are definitely not Snow Geese, they are larger than Canadas, they are domestics, ignore them

They might be considered nothing to someone that's not interested in them, but they are something worth discussing for those that want to learn what they are, and how to distinguish them from other birds. You'll have to forgive me for the confused emoji but I was/am confused why anyone would tell someone to ignore the birds that they're looking for help in IDing, domestic or otherwise. 

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

They might be considered nothing to someone that's not interested in them, but they are something worth discussing for those that want to learn what they are, and how to distinguish them from other birds. You'll have to forgive me for the confused emoji but I was/am confused why anyone would tell someone to ignore the birds that they're looking for help in IDing, domestic or otherwise. 

generally birders are interested in identifying and counting wild birds, domestic or escapee birds are ignored unless they have a wild population.

Admittedly it is good to be able to recognize domestics so you know which birds to ignore, so my bad, I should have been less terse initially

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 6