Jump to content
Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
lonesome55dove

Which Chickadee?

Recommended Posts

Taken 07 NOV 2012 / Independence, MO / Jackson County

Black-capped or Carolina? I have it marked as a Black-capped but I would appreciate a confirmation. Thank you. 🙂

 

PB077771...Black-capped Chickadee / MO

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd call it a Black-capped, due to the "hockey stick", but MO is in the overlap zone, so I like to hear the call, too, to be sure. (And then they hybridize, but we won't get into that, lol.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meghann said:

I'd call it a Black-capped, due to the "hockey stick", but MO is in the overlap zone, so I like to hear the call, too, to be sure. (And then they hybridize, but we won't get into that, lol.)

"Hockey stick"?  :classic_blink:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

"Hockey stick"?  :classic_blink:

The pattern of the white in the wings of Black-capped Chickadee is traditionally referred to as hockey stick-shaped.  Doesn't really look like one to me but that's the term used in a lot of field guides. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helps, the messy bib and extensive buff color help push it more to the black-capped side, as well, I believe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I once broke a hockey stick and it looked like the white lines on the wings.  Having said that, the white on the coverts looks a bit like a field hockey stick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently I know far less about the shape of hockey sticks than I thought.  Skinny thing, makes about a 60-degree bend at one end, long shaft is about six or seven times the length of the shorter, wider blade, right?  Or maybe some people interpreting field marks are more artistically interpretive than I am.

I guess it's moot; I'm only in BCCH territory every few years anyway.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Sibley stated in his blog that up to 2/3 of chickadees in the overlap zone can be hybrids. They're often not identifiable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at one covert at a time, the long white edge makes the (short) handle of the stick, and the short, white, visible end of the covert makes the blade.  Maybe it's just easier to say coverts with white edges.🤔

Scott

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cavan wood said:

If you look at one covert at a time, the long white edge makes the (short) handle of the stick, and the short, white, visible end of the covert makes the blade.  Maybe it's just easier to say coverts with white edges.🤔

Scott

Oh, the individual coverts!  I've been looking for a blob of white spread across multiple feathers, like how the cheek on the one above kind of resembles a striking snake's head.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Apparently I know far less about the shape of hockey sticks than I thought.  Skinny thing, makes about a 60-degree bend at one end, long shaft is about six or seven times the length of the shorter, wider blade, right?  Or maybe some people interpreting field marks are more artistically interpretive than I am.

I guess it's moot; I'm only in BCCH territory every few years anyway.

Yea, me too...and my eyes are worse than I think they are...I fail to see anything that looks like a hockey stick. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cavan wood said:

If you look at one covert at a time, the long white edge makes the (short) handle of the stick, and the short, white, visible end of the covert makes the blade.  Maybe it's just easier to say coverts with white edges.🤔

Scott

I'll take your word for it as I can not see a hockey stick...maybe I'm not looking at the right area. I'll have to study on it some...thanks for the info. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Oh, the individual coverts!  I've been looking for a blob of white spread across multiple feathers, like how the cheek on the one above kind of resembles a striking snake's head.

I'm glad you figured it out...I have not yet but I'll keep trying to see what I'm missing! 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...