Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jabird

More gulls!

Hello again,

Was viewing some gulls 2 days ago in Brantford, Ontario.  For sure saw ring-billed, herring and greater black-backed gulls.  Decided to snap a bunch of pics, anyone see any other types of gulls in these pics?  A big ask I know but you never know, you guys are great on this forum!!  Thanks

39803556763_66aabac668_k.jpgIMG_0668 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

46768943451_fb17396f12_k.jpgIMG_0671 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

39803555363_22854a29ec_k.jpgIMG_0672 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

46768942521_4e5bf2d6e4_k.jpgIMG_0673 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

39803553943_2a02140c28_k.jpgIMG_0674 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

39803552343_1f74f92104_k.jpgIMG_0676 by Jason Pizzey, on Flickr

There are only two species here. Herring and Great Black-backed. I can't find a single Ring-billed here. A number of these Herrings are almost, but not quite adult (3rd or 4th cycle) and have darkness on the tip of the bill, appearing like a Ring-billed. Note that these birds are bulkier and bigger structurally to help rule out RB.

• Like 1

The interesting bird I see here is in the 4ty photo down- the big, slightly pale young bird right in the middle preening- with a duck and a Herring Gull in the water directly behind it. It's probably just a big Herring, but other photos might be able to rule out Iceland or Glaucous.

• Like 1

I'm not great with gulls, but are the pink smaller seeming bills in the last two photos just due to lighting artifact and distance?

24 minutes ago, akiley said:

The interesting bird I see here is in the 4ty photo down- the big, slightly pale young bird right in the middle preening- with a duck and a Herring Gull in the water directly behind it. It's probably just a big Herring, but other photos might be able to rule out Iceland or Glaucous.

Thanks akiley.  I'll need to update the ebird checklist.  Sadly, no other photo of the bird in question.  So are Iceland and Glaucous both bigger than a Herring?  I know that size is hard to tell.

15 hours ago, Jabird said:

Thanks akiley.  I'll need to update the ebird checklist.  Sadly, no other photo of the bird in question.  So are Iceland and Glaucous both bigger than a Herring?  I know that size is hard to tell.

Size varies a lot. Most Iceland Gulls arr a bit smaller and more slender than Herrings, but there's so much variation- sometimes you'll get a big Iceland that could be confused with Glaucous. Glaucous Gulls are larger than Herring, with some males approaching Great Black-backed in size. That bird is probably a big Herring, but it's not possible to tell for sure. 

• Like 1