Whatbird Community

2024 Year Lists

Birds are cool

Just hit 200 for the year, up to 202 now, but that’s including the 2 days in Florida to start the year. For California (and my county), I’m at 162. Probably could be at 200 by now if I had a little more time to bird and a desire to get a high year list count. 

• Like 3

New high for January, 66, for me with 3 new birds today; Wild Turkey, Red-headed Woodpecker and Barred Owl (new January bird for me).  Don't think I will be able to get my overall January # to 100 though.  There were 4 other options seen in the past week that would have gotten me to 100, but had nothing yesterday and just the Barred today.  Still to add 8 new January birds this year is surprising.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

New high for January, 66, for me with 3 new birds today; Wild Turkey, Red-headed Woodpecker and Barred Owl (new January bird for me).  Don't think I will be able to get my overall January # to 100 though.  There were 4 other options seen in the past week that would have gotten me to 100, but had nothing yesterday and just the Barred today.  Still to add 8 new January birds this year is surprising.  

Umm, I think your math is off a bit. 4 new birds will not bring 66 up to 100, not even using Canadian math. 

• Haha 3

After yesterday's guided trip to look for Short-eared Owls in a controlled access area, I am up to 78 species for the year. We all saw 3 owls, one of which perched on the ground for many minutes, giving us nice though distant views.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two species while driving around yesterday finally bumped me up to 100, which is the slowest I've reached 100 since my first year of seriously birding in 2021.

2020: November 10
2021: January 31
2022: January 11
2023: January 11
2024: February 17

I don't even have a California Gull or Tree Swallow this year.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm at 150 species, which is a little behind last years, all in my home county and neighboring counties. This morning I came across singing Yellow-breasted Chats and Prairie Warblers; earlier this month I heard a Kentucky Warbler and a few Hooded Warblers.

At 194 but hope to hit 200 soon. I'm going to Cheyenne Bottoms next Saturday so should get a few more. A few to clean up in my county as well so shouldn't be too hard to get to my last year record of 208 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 4:25 PM, kansabirdguy said:

At 194 but hope to hit 200 soon. I'm going to Cheyenne Bottoms next Saturday so should get a few more. A few to clean up in my county as well so shouldn't be too hard to get to my last year record of 208 🙂

Currently sitting at 216 which is 8 better than last year's end of the year list! Cheyenne Bottoms, although a bit drier than it should be, was amazing! These are all in the state. Unlikely that I will be able to bird outside of the state this year.

Edited by kansabirdguy
All in the state
  • Like 2