Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Just a dark Herring Gull?

Southern Ontario, December 19.

This guy stood out in the crowd - quite a bit darker than the other Herrings but not as dark as the nearby Greater Black-backed.

Not sure what to think.

557269008_GullID-7207522.thumb.jpg.c38dde0001f55214070ce973d2d78bdd.jpg

Looks like a good candidate for Great Lakes Gull to me (Herring x Great Black-backed).

Thanks akiley for the fast response and intriguing answer - I had not heard of this combination. I did notice the bill is an interesting mix of colors - pink with a touch of yellow plus the red, not sure if this hybrid related or a sign of immaturity.

I will have to do some research on this.

Thanks again.

Probably the same one then. I was trying to get some better images of the GBBGs and came across it. I did my research and not much doubt about the ID. Apparently they are not uncommon but seldom reported (not much interest in hybrid gulls), but responsible for many incorrect IDs of rarer gulls.

I thought gull IDs were tough enough without throwing hybrids into the mix!!

Oh, cool that it's the same one! Good to know that there is enough coverage in that area for the same bird to be seen twice, good indication that if something rare was there, someone would find it! My pictures are in the eBird list, and I don't really see anything that points to them being different individuals, however, it's hard to tell. https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51096570

1 hour ago, egosnell2002 said:

Oh, cool that it's the same one! Good to know that there is enough coverage in that area for the same bird to be seen twice, good indication that if something rare was there, someone would find it! My pictures are in the eBird list, and I don't really see anything that points to them being different individuals, however, it's hard to tell. https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51096570

From what I can tell, your bird has a bit of streaking on the head and neck. The OP's bird is in full breeding plumage with a pure, unmarked head and neck. I think they could be different birds, although I obviously haven't seen either bird as you have.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 2

Yeah that's true, wasn't really sure what could be said about mine, since the pics are so bad. I was hoping it was a SB, but alas

egosnell2002

I noticed your observation has not been accepted by the reviewer yet and that there are no other sightings in this vicinity until you get down to the Hamilton/Kitchener area.

From what I read they are not uncommon so I guess they are just not being reported.

https://ebird.org/map/x00047?neg=true&env.minX=-80.80146580932973&env.minY=44.25186590746827&env.maxX=-79.76005348375378&env.maxY=44.602798779269534&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2019

Regards.