Whatbird Community

Can't find this duck in either iBird Ultimate or the Crossley ID Guide Waterfowl.  

190118_120921_7672_ILCE-9.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pigeon said:

Color, size, shape all scream domestic.

10 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yep, domestic Mallard.  Plumage, size, and shape in domestic ducks are extremely variable.

8 hours ago, Sean C said:

Domestic Mallard

Thanks for the ID.  I never heard of domestic mallards.  Googled it and now I know a bit more.  Thanks.

Dave

On 1/19/2019 at 7:09 AM, Kerri said:

Swedish Blue cross would be my guess.

That would be my guess as well. I had a swedish drake at one point years ago.
Feels weird seeing "domestic mallard."   With farm animals we get into "breeds" rather than species. Kind of like dogs. Not trying to be picky, at all, by the way. This would be like calling a golden retriever a domestic wolf, in a way. Technically true, but still feels weird. HA
Except for muscovies, ALL ducks are "mallard derived", related to mallards and can interbreed. You can get domestic mallards that actually look like mallards but the different breeds vary SO greatly, it just feels weird seeing the name mallard next to them... indian runners, pekins, etc...
I'm rambling, sorry.

unfortunately(depending on how you look at it) you'll find a LOT of domestics out on local ponds and they will have you doing a double take sometimes. As you learn the local species, domestics will start to really stand out as simply being domestic... til you start seeing crosses that look a lot like something else.

• Like 2