Whatbird Community

Red tail sub species

Taken yesterday, not sure if borealis or abieticola.   borealis is expected, just seems real dark on the belly band and I dont have enough experience with them to say either way. I am not sure you can make a judgement from the pics but I figured what the heck...not a big deal if its unidentifiable

DSC-6560dpwm-6-Edit.jpg

DSC-6560dpwm-12-Edit.jpg

9 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

I’d lean toward abieticola on it since it has adult tail.  Might be a shot it is a light calrus with the barring on its legs(?).  Any flight shots?

No, wish I could have gotten a few,it ducked out with trees in the way and no way to focus on it..

Interesting combination of adult tail and juvenile iris.  I agree with abieticola because of the dark throat connected by "dribbles" to the belly-band, which looks heavy and blobby.  Don't know if there's a way to rule out calurus other than range--which is New Jersey?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Interesting combination of adult tail and juvenile iris.  I agree with abieticola because of the dark throat connected by "dribbles" to the belly-band, which looks heavy and blobby.  Don't know if there's a way to rule out calurus other than range--which is New Jersey?

Yeah, I forgot to put south jersey in the description, Calurus would be quite a stretch here...I was leaning abieticola when I saw it,quite the belly band for the borealis I usually see