Whatbird Community

Duck - Alcova, WY 2017

It looks like eBird is doing some housekeeping of photos as I've had three reports from 2017 or prior go to unconfirmed. These are from when I first started birding, so not surprised I IDd something incorrect, but some birds still have me just as flummoxed it turns out.

This one is from Nov 9th, 2017 Alcova Reservoir, Wyoming, and I put it in as a Green-winged Teal, but the less buffier coloring is more in line with a Blue-winged Teal, but that would've been rare at that time of year, so I think I better get some other opinions.

Thank you!

2017%2011%2011%20Green%20Winged%20Teal%2

33 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

This is a Female Gadwall I believe 

Thanks. There were other Gadwalls out there that day, but looking very different. So much so they threw me off on IDing them, I remember. Much appreciated!

Little brown ducks! @#$%!

17 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Any other photos?

Maybe one, not sure if it is the same bird just a little off or one with it, but they were next to each other in the shots. The bill looks more orange. This one you can see the white wing that might be more likely for Gadwall.

145-600x450.jpg

This is the checklist. The birds IDd as Gadwall did not look like Gadwall to me, and I seem to remember being corrected on them prior. I almost have never seen them with that orange of a bill, but maybe winter plumage I guess. In all of my photos I only have a couple others with a bill that orange. Anyway, Gadwall not in question I guess, but winter plumage maybe throwing me off I suppose.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S40459331

Note correction on the date should be 11/11 not 11/9.

I do have what I think is a shot of a couple of Green-winged Teal further on, but I think we were at the next reservoir for those shots.

4 minutes ago, okaugust said:

Maybe one, not sure if it is the same bird just a little off or one with it, but they were next to each other in the shots. The bill looks more orange. This one you can see the white wing that might be more likely for Gadwall.

145-600x450.jpg

This is the checklist. The birds IDd as Gadwall did not look like Gadwall to me, and I seem to remember being corrected on them prior. I almost have never seen them with that orange of a bill, but maybe winter plumage I guess. In all of my photos I only have a couple others with a bill that orange. Anyway, Gadwall not in question I guess, but winter plumage maybe throwing me off I suppose.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S40459331

Note correction on the date should be 11/11 not 11/9.

I do have what I think is a shot of a couple of Green-winged Teal further on, but I think we were at the next reservoir for those shots.

The Gadwall on that list are female/immature. Female gadwall look a lot different from the males. 

The photo you posted before the checklist is definitely a gadwall. I’m not convinced about the bird you originally posted about, I could see it as a gadwall or a teal, something just feels off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IKLland said:

I could see it as a gadwall or a teal, something just feels off. 

Same. The bird in the first photo had a black beak. Don't only adult male gadwall have black beaks? 

My id for photo #1 is Blue-winged Teal

Edited by Birds are cool

3 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Same. The bird in the first photo had a black beak. Don't only adult male gadwall have black beaks? 

My id for photo #1 is Blue-winged Teal

Since I'm leaning that way as well, I'll put it in eBird with some comments and see if it gets a response or confirmed. Thanks again for all of the help. This forum is awesome!

FWIW I'm a little OCD, so probably ever day I check my eBird photos for something unconfirmed, which tells me I IDd something incorrectly. It usually pops right away, but when eBird does what seems like a big review/purge of incorrect IDs, they all come in at once and usually from a long time ago, like when I first started birding. Sometimes it's pretty obvious I got something wrong, i.e. Eared vs Horned Grebe back when I didn't know one from the other, other times it is frustrating because it's like....I'm pretty sure I had my OG reviewer help me ID this bird 6 years ago already. Anyway, it's a good exercise in ID skills and frustration to go to explore....photos...my photos...unconfirmed. The frustration comes from having 20 pop up incorrect all at once from 8 years ago, and only one ebird reviewer has bothered to send an email saying what they think the bird is.

Edited by okaugust
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, okaugust said:

FWIW I'm a little OCD, so probably ever day I check my eBird photos for something unconfirmed, which tells me I IDd something incorrectly. It usually pops right away, but when eBird does what seems like a big review/purge of incorrect IDs, they all come in at once and usually from a long time ago, like when I first started birding. Sometimes it's pretty obvious I got something wrong, i.e. Eared vs Horned Grebe back when I didn't know one from the other, other times it is frustrating because it's like....I'm pretty sure I had my OG reviewer help me ID this bird 6 years ago already. Anyway, it's a good exercise in ID skills and frustration to go to explore....photos...my photos...unconfirmed. The frustration comes from having 20 pop up incorrect all at once from 8 years ago, and only one ebird reviewer has bothered to send an email saying what they think the bird is.

I am not an eBird user but I wonder if your unconfirmed shots from years ago could be the results of a casual viewer(s) going through your photos and flagging the ones they think are wrong. I am not certain of this, but I think a flagged photo, by those people qualified to flag photos, will trigger the photo to revert to unconfirmed. I doubt very much that a regional reviewer would have enough time to randomly revisit photos from years ago, unless the photos were flagged and brought to their attention. I am unsure of how it actually works but suspect it may have very little to do with your regional reviewer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

This is a Gadwall. You can see the white secondaries (which teals lack) and I think the dark looking bill is exacerbated because it’s in shadow.

I don't see the white secondaries in the first photo.  Do you think 1 and 2 are the same bird?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I am not an eBird user but I wonder if your unconfirmed shots from years ago could be the results of a casual viewer(s) going through your photos and flagging the ones they think are wrong. I am not certain of this, but I think a flagged photo, by those people qualified to flag photos, will trigger the photo to revert to unconfirmed. I doubt very much that a regional reviewer would have enough time to randomly revisit photos from years ago, unless the photos were flagged and brought to their attention. I am unsure of how it actually works but suspect it may have very little to do with your regional reviewer.

I use eBird almost compulsively, lol, I think it's a great tool, and it came around about the same time I started birding, so I sort of grew up with it so to speak.

Anyone can flag a photo. Most of the time these days it happens if I, say, upload the heron photo to the crow count, for example. That drops it into unconfirmed status. I check it every day and keep up and make corrections, though they are many fewer than when I first started, thankfully. So every so often one pops up as incorrect because either another user or the eBird reviewer caught something not correct.

Then about every 2-3 years all of a sudden I get hit with maybe 15-20 corrections. When I say that, it may not be that many, but like if I dropped a Horned Grebe photo in with six Eared Grebes, all of them become unconfirmed. It's not just a local reviewer for recent items, in the last three days I've had my reports from MT, WY, AZ...I went from having about 10 that are recent that I know are correct and just waiting for the reviewer to clear for rare (Northern Mockingbird) or too many (Semipalmated Plover not just seen by me but others as well) to 44 photos unconfirmed.

I actually welcome corrections, but looking at the even more that have happened today, I know at least one the eBird reviewer in WY already cleared years ago. It would just be nice if they happened with less of a...."did you want to go birding today or did you want go through 30 reports to fix something" and happened as they went in and not....7 years later.

I know they are volunteers, so it's mostly just me venting, I appreciate being able to just grump about it to someone else, and I'm sure my poor husband appreciates it too because he's probably tired of it.

I just have this vision of 500 eBird interns going through 14,000,000 photos to get 3 hours of credit toward their degrees and vomiting up old info that might have more notes they should be reading. So I'm laughing at that, sort of.

At any rate, thanks for the Gadwall ID, it sounds like "survey says!"

Hopefully the rest I can figure out on my own. 😛

I didn't figure a duck would be so interesting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, okaugust said:

I use eBird almost compulsively, lol, I think it's a great tool, and it came around about the same time I started birding, so I sort of grew up with it so to speak.

Anyone can flag a photo.

Actually, I tried to flag one last year and couldn't.  @DLecy told me you need to have uploaded 100 complete checklists in the previous year to be able to flag.  If you're an almost compulsive eBirder, you qualify.

(For the continuing saga, see https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/30064-reporting-misidentification-at-ebird/ )

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Actually, I tried to flag one last year and couldn't.  @DLecy told me you need to have uploaded 100 complete checklists in the previous year to be able to flag.  If you're an almost compulsive eBirder, you qualify.

(For the continuing saga, see https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/30064-reporting-misidentification-at-ebird/ )

Jan 1, 2017 I made a resolution, and I don't make resolutions as rule with this exception, to list something, anything, on eBird every day for a year. That year I went to India to work for almost 6 weeks, and during the flight there I had a zero bird layover at Heathrow and missed posting any bird. The next year I decided I would give it a go again. And have ever since. Some days it is tough walking around the hospital where I work on a 10 hour work day counting pigeons, but I'm on day 2598 of a checklist streak and have 6.197 completed lists.

Compulsive is accurate.

I started birding during a year when I had a health issue that resulted in brain surgery, and it sort of saved my life along the way. I've been hooked since.

So I can flag LOL

Edited by okaugust
  • Like 3

I would be willing to bet that someone is going in and combing through your photos and flagging things that are misidentified or that they think is misidentified. It’s highly improbable that reviewers all across the land are simultaneously flagging your media from years ago.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DLecy said:

I would be willing to bet that someone is going in and combing through your photos and flagging things that are misidentified or that they think is misidentified. It’s highly improbable that reviewers all across the land are simultaneously flagging your media from years ago.

I find it equally odd that one person would do the same to over 6000 checklists. I did get one email from a reviewer in AZ, but also flagged photos in WI, MT, WY, CO. It would make more sense to me that eBird had some concerted effort to correct the data of more than just one person. All I know is over the course of 2-3 days over 30 photos were suddenly flagged at once. I guess I'm just trying to understand the why it happens at once, when it really doesn't matter. I just fix them and move on.

Unless eBird has some sort of new AI feature that I have never heard of that is working to cull misidentified photos (this is highly improbable), eBird staff are not going through and flagging photos. This would be a huge waste of time and resources. 

One person doesn't need to look through 6,000 checklists, they can simply search your eBird name in the explore photos and sounds section of eBird and comb through photos very quickly. I have done this myself a number of times. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, okaugust said:

I find it equally odd that one person would do the same to over 6000 checklists. I did get one email from a reviewer in AZ, but also flagged photos in WI, MT, WY, CO. It would make more sense to me that eBird had some concerted effort to correct the data of more than just one person. All I know is over the course of 2-3 days over 30 photos were suddenly flagged at once. I guess I'm just trying to understand the why it happens at once, when it really doesn't matter. I just fix them and move on.

A woman posted on the Raptor ID group on Facebook that someone had flagged some pictures from her earlier checklists.  The one she asked about was from Wisconsin.  So you're not the only one.