Whatbird Community

Duck - Alcova, WY 2017

That was probably me. I thought I would give you guys a break.

Thinking some one person is just going through only my photos feels...paranoid.

It makes me wonder if I'm that bad of a birder it has to be done, but granted out of the all of the lists the % is low.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, okaugust said:

That was probably me. I thought I would give you guys a break.

Thinking some one person is just going through only my photos feels...paranoid.

It makes me wonder if I'm that bad of a birder it has to be done, but granted out of the all of the lists the % is low.

Lots of people on eBird flag photos and get their photos flagged. You're not alone!

Also, every single person has misidentified a bird (or many) at some point. It doesn't make you a bad birder at all! It's just an opportunity to learn more, which is what birding is all about. Plus, your identification posts have lead to interesting discussions that help everybody.

• Like 3

To add a couple things to this discussion - if you are getting photos in bulk showing up as unconfirmed, it may be a good idea to check the checklist. Sometimes checklists get flagged for a variety of reasons (most usually relating to inaccurate/imprecise location or distance traveled). Photos on flagged checklists are automatically unconfirmed and their status is a reflection of the checklist issues, not necessarily their identification.

Secondly, as others have stated, any member of eBird with over 100 checklists can report an image, so it's not necessarily the reviewer's doing. However, reviewers have a responsibility to reach out to users when misidentified media comes into their queue. I reach out to 100% of users when I receive these types of submissions in my queue. I don't know why any good reviewer wouldn't. It's possible re-review submissions are sitting at the bottom of their queue and are sitting unconfirmed until the reviewer makes a decision on them. I think a lot of re-reviews are derived from misidentified media that show up in eBird quizzes. I doubt anyone is sorting through hundreds of media by one individual for the occasional mis-ID.

And finally, you have two ducks here, although they look deceptively similar to each other. The initial bird is a Blue-winged Teal hen and the second is a Gadwall hen. Set plumage aside and you'll notice the difference in structure: the first bird has a larger, rounder head, a longer body, thicker neck, and a larger, slightly spatulate bill while the second bird has a more square head, stockier proportions, thinner neck, and a slimmer bill. The bill on the Gadwall is also edged in yellow. Regarding plumage, the teal has a darker crown, darker flanks, and white eye arcs.

• Like 6

Well, I'm here to drive you crazy, if that helps.

I keep trying to not pile on too much to the off duck topic at hand, but since the discussion seems to continue to toddle along, another perspective and reply as the OP:

I am also familiar with the unconfirmed status based on distance, location, etc. I had some early on birding and learned to limit my range and pick more accurate locations/smaller areas.

Liam thank you for the explanation, and I would think, again, I don't like feeling paranoid, it would be odd that they all came in over a few days, but also from various states, if it was just one reviewer working through a backlog of some kind, I would expect them to be more localized. Whoever it is now is working through newer lists, as I received more unconfirmed from 2022 and 2023, and also from more states as well as reports from August of last year from the UK.

The fact that I have only received one reviewer email indicates to me it isn't a reviewer, because I always do get an email with some helpful ID tips. I'm the happiest person to get an email from a reviewer. As mentioned, I value the data too, so I do also want to make sure my own information is accurate. I don't mind making corrections.

The points of frustration I have are:

1) Regular users can't send a message like an eBird reviewer stating their reasons for the flag. Therefore there is no opportunity to offer other details (song, call, point out something) that supports your ID.

2) Whoever it is is unconfirming reports that are for rare birds that have already been reviewed (sometimes at length) with a reviewer.

3) They are also now making mistakes such as looking at a group of birds and saying "oh these are all..." but not looking at the details for the single bird that the photo is pointing out.

4) One of the sets that dropped into my unconfirmed today is of gull sp. I think I can pretty much say if I am using gull sp. it's because I can't ID the #$% gull, which is why I used it. So I'm not sure what I'm expected to change it to.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty short tempered about it for the reasons above and, let me put it this way....

I don't know if whoever is doing it is sitting at home on a rainy day thinking how helpful they are, but after some odd blood work at the end of December and five weeks dealing with referrals, authorizations, inaccurate orders, appts that were delayed, finding out last Thursday I have what is like a level 1 (out of 11 for you Spinal Tap fans) benign tumor on my pituitary that now I get to spend more time chasing resolution, appts, etc to deal with, my little hamster wheel brain is already spinning, and then I realized some helpful fellow birder is chucking my reports back to me rapid fire and my hobby that keeps me sane suddenly is something else for me to deal with.

That person doesn't know that, and one thing has nothing to do with the other, but I do this hobby as mentioned since a prior issue in 2013, and it brings me a lot of peace. It would be nice if there was a way to reach out to fellow eBird users before being so helpful, because you never know what the person on the other end might be going through.

So....the duck is back to being a Blue-winged Teal?

Edited by okaugust
  • Like 1

The plus side is sometimes you get to pick up a new life bird. Like...a Golden-winged Warbler?

One of the nice thrills I get from getting a reviewer's email is once in a blue moon something I ID as a more common thing turns out to be a rare lifer. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice.

2021%2006%2013%20Common%20Yellowthroat%2

• Like 3

8 hours ago, okaugust said:

Therefore there is no opportunity to offer other details (song, call, point out something) that supports your ID.

You can enter those details in the comments for the species. 

Whoever it is is unconfirming reports that are for rare birds that have already been reviewed (sometimes at length) with a reviewer.

I save those emails for just this reason. 

They are also now making mistakes such as looking at a group of birds and saying "oh these are all..." but not looking at the details for the single bird that the photo is pointing out.

Yeah, this is a problem with mixed species photos.   I try to crop around the target species when possible.  Circling it is also an option. 

One of the sets that dropped into my unconfirmed today is of gull sp. I think I can pretty much say if I am using gull sp. it's because I can't ID the #$% gull, which is why I used it. So I'm not sure what I'm expected to change it to.

Is it possibly a tern or jaeger?

• Like 1

So....the duck is back to being a Blue-winged Teal?

Probably, that had also been my initial conclusion (based on the reasons provided by Liam, especially the round head and faint white eye arcs - maybe an immature bird as there was also no white at the base of the bill, and I was struggling to see any hint of white secondaries to support Gadwall as per @The Bird Nuts). I'd also checked reports for the location and they do show up randomly, there may have been some recent ones nearby.

I also suspected that size (not mentioned in the discussions), was a factor as you had gone with Green-winged initially.

TBH I'd never thought about confusion between these two species (all the hen Gadwalls I've seen have had the orange edge to the bill plus the size factor)  but the images are quite similar. Anyway, it was an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, okaugust said:

Whoever it is now is working through newer lists, as I received more unconfirmed from 2022 and 2023, and also from more states as well as reports from August of last year from the UK.

Sounds like the eBirder is approaching the end of their "review" process and I would think you have fewer debatable IDs more recently, so the end should be near.

41 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

You can enter those details in the comments for the species.

There may be a case for putting backup comments and data with the image as well as in the report details section, although I seldom do. Presumably the "tagger" has just pulled up your images and is not bothering to check the actual reports.

I would try to put it out of your mind for the moment, they all end up with the regional reviewer (who is also probably not too happy about this) and as Liam suggested I think they are low priority being old reports but will eventually surface.

There are some good topics here which probably deserved a separate thread. Distance is a personal peeve as you end up with species confirmed for a hot spot or tagged location that weren't seen there.