Whatbird Community

Two weird gulls

I'm not really expecting to get an ID on these two gulls, but I'm just curious of what others' opinions on what these gulls might be. Ultimately these are probably destined for Larus sp. Seen exactly a week ago mixed in with some 1200 other gulls of various species out in some pastures in Humboldt County, California. 

Bird 1

ALARUSSP_2416.thumb.JPG.dabb9db178f3f68727083b5d69918c7a.JPG

ALARUSSP_2417.thumb.JPG.81265df04dcff20c9a0600ee610ee075.JPG

Bird 2

ALARUSSP_2418.thumb.JPG.ee3bfeae519ed6d8710a624483a39ed6.JPG

ALARUSSP_2419.thumb.JPG.36154e00351a25b637e2418cfb091915.JPG

ALARUSSP_2420.thumb.JPG.1c403d9a01a9db5098d43ed0e29c1882.JPG

ALARUSSP_2421.thumb.JPG.90a820651ac44ac48193f5f4cf9681f6.JPG

6 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

Please never trust me about immature gulls because when I looked at the second bird I thought “huh, a laughing gull” 💀😭

I can barely be confident about adults of the scant handful of species we have here in SC.  I don't try immatures. 

• Like 1

That second gull I posted has been getting a bit of attention from some of the better birders up here in Humboldt county. So far the general consensus has been that it's freaking weird and no one really knows what it is. Leading theory is that it's a LBBG hybridized with another gull but who knows what it really is. Just thought I'd give a quick update on the gull. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

That second gull I posted has been getting a bit of attention from some of the better birders up here in Humboldt county. So far the general consensus has been that it's freaking weird and no one really knows what it is. Leading theory is that it's a LBBG hybridized with another gull but who knows what it really is. Just thought I'd give a quick update on the gull. 

Has the first bird been confirmed as lesblack?

21 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I can understand the photos of this bird being called inconclusive (since I can’t tell things like size, structure, or iris color) but I’m curious what about this bird suggests hybrid (Lesser Black-backed x Herring?) over Lesser Black-backed of some sort?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I can understand the photos of this bird being called inconclusive (since I can’t tell things like size, structure, or iris color) but I’m curious what about this bird suggests hybrid (Lesser Black-backed x Herring?) over Lesser Black-backed of some sort?

I think it's mainly because of the mantle color is supposedly paler than it should be in a LBBG, but I'm not entirely sure if there is anything else pointing at hybrid.