Whatbird Community

Spring Migration 2024

It appears like the raptors are on the move. The needs alert has been pinging me about a few Golden Eagle sightings around town. Turkey Vulture sightings have increased significantly, as well.

• Like 1

Not really birding but related to the arrival of spring - I'm a landscaper and have to treat some flowering cherries for a fungal issue when they are in the full bloom stage. I was out doing it today (perhaps a couple days earlier than I would have liked but the next 10 day forecast shows rain every day) ... last year I did it April 14th. Clearly we're having an earlier spring this year. 

• Sad 1

FOS Wilson’s Warbler, Western Flycatchers, Bell’s Vireo(rather early), Bullock’s Orioles, and Mallard duckings! Lots of Hooded Orioles around, and swallow numbers are big.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:07 AM, lonestranger said:

I only got a brief glimpse of the shape as it flew by so I can't identify the species with certainty but a Swallow just zipped by a few inches off the ground. I think it was a Barn Swallow but haven't waited for a second sighting to confirm that. So I will just say that the Swallows are now showing up here in Southern Ontario.

I am having serious doubts about this earlier ID. I was sure the flight pattern, and the usual pathway taken, was that of a swallow at the time, but I have yet to see another one so now I'm less confident in my initial judgment. Good thing I don't keep lists, I'd be questioning every ID I made that didn't have photographic proof, no matter how confident I was at the time of listing the ID. 🤪

Flycatchers! Say's Phoebes are showing up throughout the Denver metro area, calling from buildings and other places. I've encountered one, possibly two Eastern Phoebes around Denver (uncommon and flagged on eBird as rare, but not genuinely rare). 

Mourning Doves showed up in my neighborhood outside Denver a week or two ago. A few overwinter in the area, but they always surprise me by getting really scarce in winter. Lovely to see them feeding on the ground amid my wildflower and native grass gardens. And to hear that song...

• Like 1