Whatbird Community

Looking to attract those meat-eating species that come around in the spring.

Tried some live mealworms last August. They didn't fare well in the heat. Lesson learned.

Anybody have any commentary on live mealworms vs fresh (dead) mealworms vs dried mealworms?

71KFQup29RL._AC_SX466_.jpg

@Greyhawk, where are you located, and what type of environment?  I'm wondering what insectivores you may have.

I notice the brand you're tryiing are specifically labeled as for chickens.  I don't know if there's something about them that would make a difference to wild birds.  I've been successful with dried mealworms.  I get these at Wal-Mart.  They're less expensive per ounce than the fresh 'snack size' ones you posted.  They're not the most popular food; I get mostly wrens and bluebirds but I enjoy watching those species.  Since they have limited appeal,  I put out only a quarter-cup or so at a time.  That usually lasts three or four days (less in breeding season).  If they get rained on, tossing that small amount is no tragedy.  The bag below lasts me several weeks or longer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennington-Select-Mealworms-Bluebird-and-Wild-Bird-Food-17-6-oz-Bag-1-Pack-Dry/642853603?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227642853603_14069003552_202077872&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-295289030566&wl5=9010083&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=642853603&veh=sem&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwMqvBhCtARIsAIXsZpYvecCmazX9FLWe07C3u0mMfkbi181Dzpr2yGERhiMkRsSgO8TAZdQaAnIUEALw_wcB

On 3/14/2024 at 4:56 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

@Greyhawk, where are you located, and what type of environment?  I'm wondering what insectivores you may have.

I notice the brand you're tryiing are specifically labeled as for chickens.  I don't know if there's something about them that would make a difference to wild birds.  I've been successful with dried mealworms.  I get these at Wal-Mart.  They're less expensive per ounce than the fresh 'snack size' ones you posted.  They're not the most popular food; I get mostly wrens and bluebirds but I enjoy watching those species.  Since they have limited appeal,  I put out only a quarter-cup or so at a time.  That usually lasts three or four days (less in breeding season).  If they get rained on, tossing that small amount is no tragedy.  The bag below lasts me several weeks or longer.

I am in North Texas, DFW suburb.

Last year before we put the first feeder out in May, I saw Robins and bluebirds regularly.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Sauteed in EVOO with a teaspoon each of ground chipotle and cumin.

Okay, I don't mind feeding the dadgum things but you'll all be ice skating in hell before I cook for them. 😝

• Haha 1