Whatbird Community
Nancy

Female pine warbler or something different?

Hi - wondering if you can tell what bird is in the tray.  I think the one standing on the edge is a male pine warbler so was thinking the bird in the tray was a female pine warbler.  But the bird in the tray has very dark black and white feathers in the back that looks very different than the pine warbler.  Plus, I think I saw the female pine warbler a few minutes later without that dark black streaking.  Charlotte, NC.

https://ibb.co/NrjgWxB
https://ibb.co/XxswgmV

Ask was thinking maybe a goldfinch but its beak looked thin and long instead of like a finch beak.

You were right with your second ID.  The bird in the tray is an American Goldfinch.  The Goldie has much more black on the wings and tail.  Goldies also prefer different seeds from other finches, so that's why their beaks look that way.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I believe the bird standing on the feeder is a pine warbler. The one inside looks like a American Goldfinch. The bill looks like a cone that is being distorted by angle and lighting.

Edit

(got sniped by @Charlie Spencer!!!)

Edited by TooFly
Sniped!!!
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Smo4142 said:

I believe they are both American goldfinch. 

Can you explain why?  Color pattern and bill shape are spot on for the Pine Warbler on the right. 

The bird perched on the side is definitely a Pine Warbler.  Notice the thinner bill, light eyering, brighter yellow/green color, and gray wings with two wingbars.  The bird in the tray is indeed an American Goldfinch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Can you explain why?  Color pattern and bill shape are spot on for the Pine Warbler on the right. 

Ivory..i believe my poor vision is the reason i first thought goldfinch..sorry about the incorrect id. I agree with pine warbler now that you point out the field marks, plus the darker more olive coloring.  This is why i love this page, i learn so much from all of you!

• Like 1