Whatbird Community

This was taken July 30 around Pelican Lake SK. What is wrong with the tail feathers? In a way it looks like a Gadwall. Is that correct? Eye color is different.

IMG_1235 (2).jpg

It's an Aythya sp duck (Redhead, scaup) and the pale eye suggests it's likely a male in eclipse plumage or a juv male. Bill color and head shape have me thinking Redhead.

• Like 2

Did some extra reading and found a 1 year male Redhead in eclipse plumage that looked very similar to my photo. I wouldn’t have figured this out on my own. Thanks so much for the explanation Liam. 😀

Would a juvenile scaup make a better match with that white belly, light brown eye, broad grey bill, and perhaps a bit of white speculum showing?

Scott

Thanks Cavan. Had a closer look at it and further picture comparisons. Lots of details to consider. Can only become a better birder. Right? When I look at my photo I’m also now seeing a paler patch by the bill and pale ear patch. Doesn’t help that it’s not the best picture!