Jump to content
Whatbird Community

A couple confirmations from Sebastion/Vero Beach FL 2/28/24


Recommended Posts

1-2 Common Grackle. For Boat-tailed, adult males would have a much longer tail, and the females would be light brown. 

3 Coop/Sharpie, leaning Sharpie based on tail shape (squared edges, notch in middle)

4-5 Orange-crowned Warbler

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Could #3 be a Northern Harrier?  I know it's not identifiable, I'm just wondering.

I agree with the rest.

I feel like we would see the white rump pretty clearly from this angle. Wing shape is seems different too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Why not Pine for the last photo? 

Mainly GISS, though the bill looks a bit thin to me. I could be wrong, plenty of odd PIWA around. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Are the last two definitely the same bird?  While I agree the last bird's bill looks good for a warbler.  My impression of the fourth / next to last bird with the obscured bill was female Painted Bunting.

Note the eyeline with a yellow tinge to the supercilium and the yellow undertail. I believe that OCWA is correct for this bird.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Are the last two definitely the same bird?  While I agree the last bird's bill looks good for a warbler.  My impression of the fourth / next to last bird with the obscured bill was female Painted Bunting.

Definitely not a bunting. Overall shape of the bird and bill is totally wrong, as are proportions, and the strong white eye arcs. Painted buntings also aren’t very pale/almost white on the stomach and vent area, they should be the same color as breast and head..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kansabirdguy said:

Note the eyeline with a yellow tinge to the supercilium and the yellow undertail. I believe that OCWA is correct for this bird.

Why OCWA over pine? If you zoom in, I see a clear distinction between the yellowish breast and whiteish stomach and underparts, which is good for pine, as are the strong white eye arcs, and my overall impression. I could see it as OCWA too I guess, just curious how pine was ruled out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

Why OCWA over pine? If you zoom in, I see a clear distinction between the yellowish breast and whiteish stomach and underparts, which is good for pine, as are the strong white eye arcs, and my overall impression. I could see it as OCWA too I guess, just curious how pine was ruled out.

Are you talking about the last pic? I could go either way on that one. I was referring to the 4th pic and why it wasn't a PABU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kansabirdguy said:

Are you talking about the last pic? I could go either way on that one. I was referring to the 4th pic and why it wasn't a PABU.

Oh my bad, yes I’m talking about the last photo. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...