Whatbird Community

Nice shots!  I'd say your guess is right—feathered legs, no white scapulars, nondescript tail.  A juvenile red-tail would have many narrow, distinct white [edit: dark!] bands.  Maybe the gape is a little short and the head is a little brown, but I haven't seen many of these guys and don't understand their variation.  (Uh-oh, better see what Melierax said.)

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with those ID points. Very light colored head is a good mark as well. Back is a softer gray with white spots localized on the wings. Stance, behavior, and wing length are also good things to look at.

Edited by Melierax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome. Thanks so much, everyone--both for the ID and for enumerating the field marks. Ferruginous was in fact what I was thinking/hoping for. It was just hanging by the roadside along the main road of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal NRW. Not what we would have expected for a hawk like this. Great place. Saw our first Burrowing Owls there, too.

• Like 1