Whatbird Community

Long Shots

While this photo certainly isn't going to win any prizes, I think it's pretty impressive.

This is a hand held shot across someone's land and across a lake. Measuring it on google this was 4,500 feet away or almost 9/10 of a mile.

This is the uncropped, unedited original.  

Here's a crop.

• Like 3

• Kevin changed the title to Long Shots

@Birds are cool, Willow Ptarmigan in winter plumage?  :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Anyone else have some long shots?

I have a few but I don't have any records of the ranges.  I suspect most are .15 to .2 miles at most, and strictly for documentation or fingers-crossed identification.

Brown Pelicans on an island along the Southport-Ft. Fisher ferry route, Brunswick County, southeastern NC.  October, 2016.  Maybe 1000-1200 feet, based on map spot.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

Not a bird shot but I have a video from one of my travels using the full zoom range of my SX50 handheld. Took a few shots of the screen off my laptop so I didn't have to upload the whole video but gives you the idea. We were able to ID the people in the shot from what I would guess was over 1 mile. 

20240413_084748.jpg

20240413_084807.jpg

20240413_084816.jpg

20240413_084828.jpg

20240413_084838.jpg

• Like 2

Not my longest long distance shot but this extreme crop is a favorite of mine. The Sandhill Cranes were on the far side of the sloping farmers field and I was shooting with a 400mm lens without image stabilization from about 500-600 feet away. 

19987613954_fff5b146e0_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a boat load of these types of shots. Nothing comes to mind that makes me want to go searching for it but I will keep this forum topic in mind for the future.