Whatbird Community

Will upload real photos later. Have comparison photos with nearby Lesser Scaups. Was slightly bigger than the lesser Scaups, noticably bigger bill in the field, sat lower in the water, and head was much less peaked than the others. I'm leaning greater here, but wanted to get others opinions. Phinizy Swamp Nature Park, agusta ga yesterday

MerlinPhotoID_20240413_092350.jpg

I'm not sure of your camera's capabilities, but you may find this a useful alternative to posting back of camera pictures. The link below the quote is to Nikon's website but the same principle applies to most cameras.

"All Z series Mirrorless cameras, select Nikon DSLRs and many COOLPIX compact digital cameras have wireless connectivity built-in.

Using these cameras, you can seamlessly transfer images from your Bluetooth- or Wi-Fi®-enabled camera to your compatible smartphone or tablet for easy sharing via email, text or uploading to an image sharing site. And a great feature of Nikon cameras that feature wireless connectability is that you don't need to be at a Wi-Fi hotspot. The camera and your smart device create the connection."

https://www.nikonusa.com/learn-and-explore/c/tips-and-techniques/using-your-nikon-cameras-built-in-wi-fi

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

The only thing that makes makes me hesitate somewhat is the last photo-head shape is suspicious in that one. Wait for more opinions 

I agree. The other pics were making me think Greater but that one made me not as sure.

8 minutes ago, IKLland said:

The only thing that makes makes me hesitate somewhat is the last photo-head shape is suspicious in that one. Wait for more opinions 

5 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

I agree. The other pics were making me think Greater but that one made me not as sure.

GRSC4 CROPPED.jpg

2 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

GRSC4 CROPPED.jpg

Ok, I still think Greater with the size and shape of that bill and the head shape. I have never successfully found a for sure Greater myself, though, so wait for others to confirm. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Yeah, my camera has that, but just seems like a lot of work. I usually don't post BOC photos, but just wanted to get this bird up. I'll check it out though, thanks!

Once your camera and phone are paired, it'd simply be a matter of opening your camera app and selecting the photo from the app's gallery, I think. A little easier than opening your phone's camera, taking a photo of the back of your camera, then opening your phone's photo gallery to access the photo for uploading, I think. I have never used the upload/transfer feature of my Camera Connect app, but if it works as I suspect it does, I think it'd be as easy or easier than posting back of camera photos. I only know about the option, and only speculating on the ease of use, it might not be practical in actuality but i think it'd be worth looking into.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

Ok, I still think Greater with the size and shape of that bill and the head shape. I have never successfully found a for sure Greater myself, though, so wait for others to confirm. 

I've reported it as greater on ebird, well see what the reviewer says