Whatbird Community
San

What kind of bird?

I live in South Carolina and this bird came to my feeder today. I've never seen one before so I was hoping someone could help me identify it.  Thanks so much. I'm new to this forum. 

Yellow bird 2.jpg

Yellow bird.jpg

Well, it's not an adult male -- they have black heads and are brighter orange.  I'm leaning female (immature or adult), but I'm not quite sure when the young males start getting their adult plumage.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

@San, welcome!  What part of the state do you live in?

What the heck is a Baltimore Oriole doing here in SC in the middle of January???  :classic_ohmy:  How is it surviving the mid-20s we had the last couple of nights???

Hey! I’m in Bishopville, SC. I don’t know much about the oriole but I am just as surprised as you. 

I thought maybe you were down around Hilton Head or Beaufort, where it might be warm enough for it to hang out.

I don't know if you're new to birding entirely, so excuse me if you already know this stuff.  Baltimore Orioles breed a few states north of here in the summer and spend the winters south of the GA-FL state line.  They're normally here only when they migrate through in the spring and fall.  It's not unusual to see one at those times, but this far inland in the dead of winter is pretty abnormal.  

Well I am so excited to have one. I hope she will stick around. I am pretty new to bird feeding so I am open to any and all suggestions. Feel free to share anything at all with me. Do you also live in SC?

@San here is a list of what they like to eat

Popular oriole foods include:
  1. Insects, mealworms, and wasps.
  2. Fruits, particularly oranges, apples, peaches, berries, and bananas.
  3. Suet mixed with bits of fruit, berries, or peanut butter.
  4. They especially love Jelly, grape jelly and orange marmalade.
  5. Fresh, frozen, or dried peas

Awesome. Thanks so much for that list. I will make sure I provide her plenty of her favorites. You’re so kind to help me. 😀

I'm in Lexington.

Try this list of foods and the birds they attract:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/types-of-bird-seed-a-quick-guide/

If you're looking to expand beyond your back yard, you're in a decent good area.  Sandhills NWR is just up the road, Swan Lake in Sumter is great in the spring and early summer,  and there's a few swamps in the area.  You can get a decent set of starter binoculars for around $100.  Just don't let the Lizard Man get you :classic_wink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What the heck is a Baltimore Oriole doing here in SC in the middle of January???  :classic_ohmy:  How is it surviving the mid-20s we had the last couple of nights???

You know there's usually Baltimores over here in Augusta in the winter. Saw one at Phinizy this past Sunday.

• Like 1

Charlie - Everyone knows about the lizard man, don’t they? My daughter and son-in-law also live in Lexington. Thank him for all the helpful information. 

2 minutes ago, San said:

Charlie - Everyone knows about the lizard man, don’t they? My daughter and son-in-law also live in Lexington. Thank him for all the helpful information. 

if you come to Lex to visit them, Saluda Shoals park, Harbison State Forest, Congaree National Park, and the north end of the Lake Murray dam are all excellent birding spots.