Whatbird Community
chipperatl

accipiter sp. - SW MI 1/22

Really thought this was a Cooper's Hawk when it flushed all the feeder birds.  Looked bigger (it was only about 30 feet away), didn't look bug-eyed, tail looked uneven.  Head looks awfully round though and appears rather broad in the chest.  I still think Cooper's Hawk, but wanted any other thoughts.  Never seen a Coop with it's head so round before.  

91a1252_orig.jpg

91a1218_orig.jpg91a1215_orig.jpg

10 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Cooper's is correct. Pale nape same color as cheek, and forehead slopes to same angle as bill.

I agree with cooper's.   Head shape depends on whether or not the hackles are raised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm getting broken links trying to open the photos.  Is it just me?

The photos load right in the post for me. If you haven't already, try refreshing your browser, that usually works for me.

• Like 1

Sorry about the photos.  I'm hosting from my own site now that flickr went $$.  

Thanks for Coop confirmation.  I was looking side by side with a SSHA photos I took recently from relatively same distance and it definitely had more noticeable differences.  Just used to Coops having that flat top look to them.