Whatbird Community

Your highest rated Macaulay photo

1. Go to https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?view=grid
  2. At the top center, click the 'My Media' button
  3. On the upper right, change the sort order from 'Recently Uploaded' to 'Best Quality'
  4. Post the first photo in the sorted results.

Sharp-shinned Hawk.  My backyard, Lexington County, central SC.  March 2016.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S43176586

I was home from work with some forgotten disease or ailment when this showed up on my feeder poles.  I recall it hanging out around the feeders and on the fence for about 30 minutes.

• Like 5

Here’s mine, it’s also the only one of mine that’s made the front page. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/614036310
honestly it’s not even that good of a photo, it’s noisy because of the high ish iso and the lava rocks make for a horrible distracting background. I’d much rather my Anna’s Hummingbird or White-crowned Sparrow photos receive this attention. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I think that kind of undermines the more familar, "Ratings greatly appreciated", that we usually see. 🤔

Yeah, the reason I ask for them is because the more ratings they have, the more likely they are to be seen by more people. Wish it wasn't that way, but not sure how else they could do it

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 8:55 AM, MichaelLong said:

Here’s mine, it’s also the only one of mine that’s made the front page. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/614036310
honestly it’s not even that good of a photo, it’s noisy because of the high ish iso and the lava rocks make for a horrible distracting background. I’d much rather my Anna’s Hummingbird or White-crowned Sparrow photos receive this attention. 

The background is not horrible at all!  I think it's very pretty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

I think that kind of undermines the more familar, "Ratings greatly appreciated", that we usually see. 🤔

I’ll admit to doing that 😂

However, I do think there is some value in ratings, you do want the “best” photos of the species to be the ones that are actually rated as such. Too many good photos aren’t easily available to be seen for ID and scientific purposes in eBird, and they just got hidden pages and pages down, while some more poor photos that have a few 3-4 star ratings are way ahead of yours. I just mean that your “best quality” photo may not be your best photo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The background is not horrible at all!  I think it's very pretty.

Maybe I just hate that my parents covered the backyard with those rocks…. I think they’re hideous and you can’t plant anything in them 😬

Edited by MichaelLong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Maybe I just hate that my parents covered the backyard with those rocks…. I think they’re hideous and you can’t plant anything in them 😬

I did that in a small flower bed once, on the theory it would be low maintenance.   Then I had to either use a leaf blower to keep it clean, or pick debris out manually.   I abhor leaf blowers.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I did that in a small flower bed once, on the theory it would be low maintenance.   Then I had to either use a leaf blower to keep it clean, or pick debris out manually.   I abhor leaf blowers.

I agree that it makes for a colorful photo  ... but as a career landscaper I have to say I absolutely abhor red rock or any of the other variants, especially when people plant boxwood or any other small leafed shrubs that require pruning in it. The only thing I've ever dealt with that was more difficult to clean up in was some recycled rubber 'bark nuggets'. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Feel free to lower these and others to the appropriate rating. Have two "five star" pics as well that have a single rating so shouldn't be hard to bring 'em down to their correct rating 😃 

Edited by kansabirdguy

2 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

Feel free to lower these and others to the appropriate rating. Have two "five star" pics as well that have a single rating so shouldn't be hard to bring 'em down to their correct rating 😃 

Both threes IMo

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

The ones I posted or the two that are five star? Or all of them? 🙂 

Oh sorry, the two you posted here. I haven’t even looked at the  5 star ones. 

Edited by IKLland