Whatbird Community

Red-tail. Which subspecies?

Another RTHA subspecies in GA. Reported it as Western almost a week ago. Haven't heard from anybody about it, so would like to here others opinions. Reported as RTHA (Western Ssp)

Would be my third subsp. in GA! (Have the normal borealis, and the third state record of abieticola ssp.)

RTHA1 CROPPED.jpg

RTHA2 CROPPED.jpg

Posted (edited)

Why isn't that abieticola?  The underwing coverts don't look heavily marked to me, and do I see pale uppertail coverts?  (I'm going by https://northernredtails.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/rth_aabieticiola_north_american_birds_march_2014.pdf, which is ten years old now.  Are there better sources?)

Whatever it is, it's a good bird for Georgia, and you could ask about it at the Red-tails of the U.S. group on Facebook (or I could if you're not on FB).  They'd be happy to see it.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
source
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Whatever it is, it's a good bird for Georgia, and you could ask about it at the Red-tails of the U.S. group on Facebook (or I could if you're not on FB).  They'd be happy to see it.

Go ahead!

Posted (edited)

Here’s an example of a western RTHA, I find that the belly band on them is very faint and kinda blends into the breast and feet area as opposed to the very strong dark belly band on your bird.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/609036403

edit : I suppose that might be very California specific, birds in the PNW are probably darker. There’s nothing wrong with leaving it at the species level.

Edited by MichaelLong
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

here’s nothing wrong with leaving it at the species level.

Yeah, but whatever ssp. it is is one of the first 5 state records. Western would be 2nd confirmed state record, and abieticola would be fourth confirmed state record.

1 hour ago, Birds are cool said:

Yeah, but whatever ssp. it is is one of the first 5 state records. Western would be 2nd confirmed state record, and abieticola would be fourth confirmed state record.

In other words, it provides information about the migration of a subspecies that breeds a long way from Georgia.

@Birds are coolI still need the date if you want me to ask on Facebook.

5 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

26 April 2024 Jekyll Island GA

Shane Brown commented, "Florida type - umbrinus.  Similar to Northern."  Which makes a lot of sense, and so much for my "breeds a long way from Georgia."

• Like 2