Whatbird Community

Brewer's vs. Clay-colored by eye, Dusky calls by ear

Posted (edited)

Riparian woods, Española, N. M. this morning again.  For what it's worth, there are just two eBird reports of "Timberline" (taverneri) Brewer's in N. M.

1 on the left, 2 on the right.  Merlin claims to have heard both Brewer's and Clay-colored here.  Unfortunately I didn't get any good views of the napes.

claycolored12crop.jpg

claycolored15crop.jpg

claycolored16crop.jpg

3. Very close by, a minute or two later.  Does the striped crown means Brewer's?  Sorry about the overexposure.brewersq22crop.xcfbrewersq22crop.xcbrewersq22crop.xcfbrewersq22crop.xcfbrewersq22crop.xc

brewersq22crop.jpg

brewersq25crop.jpg

4. Merlin says the repeated chips on here are Dusky.  Would you report that to eBird?

Edited by Jerry Friedman
Rearranging

You have both Brewer's and Clay-colored. in the third photo left is Clay-colored and right is Brewer's. As for the crown stripe, that's a Clay-colored feature. 

As far as the empid goes, it's a Dusky/Gray/Willow. Don't think you can narrow it down more than that without a visual. 

• Like 2

Thanks!  That's exactly the opposite of what I thought, though I can see that the bird on the left in the first pictures doesn't have an eyering.  On bird 3,I  was thinking that the central crown stripe is filled with smaller streaks.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

On bird 3,I  was thinking that the central crown stripe is filled with smaller streaks.

I see what you mean, I didn't take the overexposure into account there. I still think it's Clay-colored though. 

• Like 1