Whatbird Community

Samuel P Taylor Camping again

15 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

Also any clarification on what the Oven at the lighthouse and the residence at fish docks refers to would be greatly appreciated.

The oven is a gnarled tangle of cypress trees below eye level on the righthand side of the road to the Lighthouse. It's approximately here (37.997083, -123.018083). This is it in Google Maps.IMG_8997.PNG.thumb.jpeg.d09940df0b29661bbfb8780e16c79825.jpeg

The residence is the big white house/residence when you walking in from the parking lot at Fish Docks. It's impossible to miss.

On 5/17/2024 at 9:28 PM, MichaelLong said:

Hoping for more miscellaneous rarities on Pt Reyes

Just a warning, but the winds are looking terrible for vagrants on those dates for the outer point. Keep that in mind when deciding where to spend your time. 

25 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Just a warning, but the winds are looking terrible for vagrants on those dates for the outer point. Keep that in mind when deciding where to spend your time. 

What winds should I be looking for in a good OP day?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MichaelLong said:

What winds should I be looking for in a good OP day?

Southeast winds, and I believe they should be between 5-15 MPH. One of the Marin birders will correct me if I'm wrong on the MPH. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Aidan B said:

Southeast winds, and I believe they should be between 5-15 MPH. One of the Marin birders will correct me if I'm wrong on the MPH. 

The OP is more complex than most people truly understand. Generally speaking, you are correct. Light S or SE winds are good in spring and fall. Sometimes a windy night shifting to no wind at all can be really good too, as stuff drops in when winds abate. 

However, things can be very unpredictable as there was wildly strong NW winds a few weeks ago when the Swallow-tailed Kite was found; a totally staggering record. That was a day that most people would have avoided going to the OP completely, due to strong winds. So, the lesson here is that you never know. 

The clouds/fog can also play a role, and high overcast seems to be best. Remember, this is an area where it may be absolutely socked in with fog for days at a time. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

Hmmm I wish I read that earlier, currently looking like a wet rat at the lighthouse 

Yeah i mean i can’t guarantee anything but it should at least be a little less windy if the forecasts are accurate. Doing the south coasts of marin are a good option during weather like this. I did muir today and had a REVI and an Ovenbird. Muir, Stinson, Bolinas, and Rodeo all have chances to hold rarities in riparian.