Whatbird Community

an eBird report recently talked about a prairie falcon. The comments they added said the facial pattern was obvious, but not like a kestrel...  To me, this facial pattern looks pretty good for kestrel... better for that than prairie falcon. To me, it's an oddly colored kestrel.
What am I missing?
I emailed the reviewer about it but it still shows the same thing and I didn't get a response... so maybe I'm wrong?
https://ebird.org/checklist/S174506143

And the
goldfinches...  was waiting for a lesser goldfinch(which I got) at a house 30 minutes from here. (I chased a bird AND got it... YES)
There was an odd colored finch or two. I'm 90 something percent certain they're just american goldfinches... This one dingy looking one, there was another birder there, through binoculars, was trying to make it a female lesser... he said IF there were no wingbars... you can see, this bird has a wingbar.
It's awfully dingy looking... looks off for female to me, yet, most males are very much in breeding plumage right now. So, I was curious if anyone had any thoughts...
Wish I had better pics
image.png.6eeffa4f8a3447176b6cf5f731c26654.png

I also kept watching this male american goldfinch that had a darker area on the neck. Is this bird just a little younger than the other males I saw?
image.png.ee7bae77fe555a4ede96d65fff95f3ad.png

I agree with American Goldfinches; and the second one I think perhaps the gray on the neck is because his head is turned, and the lighting isn't great; he may be showing some of his down feathers from the position of the head. Also both look a bit scruffy, so maybe they are still molting into their summer plumage, and thus look less colorful in spots. Or maybe even they have just had a bath and haven't done their hair and makeup yet...

tried to report the Kestrel but it isn't an option as the local reviewers have already evaluated it. Does that mean that they think it is a PRFA and don't want people to keep reporting it as a Kestrel or has it just not been changed yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I've never seen that before.  Did it say they already evaluated it or they are evaluating it?

And how did you report it, @kansabirdguy?  By flagging it?

That sure looks like a Kestrel face pattern to me.

@DLecymight be able to help here.

And some might be interested in this thread: 

However, I don't think it will provide any constructive suggestions.

I'm this close to mentioning these two checklists on the Facebook group for Raptor ID, including what I know about the attempts to report them that have already been made.

7 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

@The Bird Nuts @Jerry Friedman I used the wrong species option but this showed up.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 1351342.png

Thanks.  I don't submit enough eBird reports to be able to flag reports, so I don't know, but I hadn't heard of that response before.  Is it new?

I wonder whether the reviewer sees your report, I wonder whether there's a mechanism for handling situations where there's good reason to believe the reviewer made a mistake despite attempts at correction.

1 hour ago, kansabirdguy said:

@The Bird Nuts @Jerry Friedman I used the wrong species option but this showed up.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 1351342.png

That has to be new....and that stinks.  I used to be able to flag a wrong identification multiple times (yes, that has happened 😆).  I guess the only thing we can do now is contact a reviewer directly. 😕

Where does the "Learn More" link bring you to?

Calm down friends. This a screen appears when the reviewer has made the determination and unconfirmed the record. The observer had not changed the media to the appropriate species. Additionally, the PRFA record does not appear in public output. If you click on the Macaulay link you can see that it’s unconfirmed. If it was confirmed by the reviewer, you would again see the option to report the wrong species. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

Calm down friends. This a screen appears when the reviewer has made the determination and unconfirmed the record. The observer had not changed the media to the appropriate species. Additionally, the PRFA record does not appear in public output. If you click on the Macaulay link you can see that it’s unconfirmed. If it was confirmed by the reviewer, you would again see the option to report the wrong species. 

Thanks for explaining that.  The message is a bit misleading, but I guess they don't want to hurt the observer's feelings by saying explicitly that it's unconfirmed.

1 minute ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Thanks for explaining that.  The message is a bit misleading, but I guess they don't want to hurt the observer's feelings by saying explicitly that it's unconfirmed.

Precisely. I would also say it’s partially for the protection of the reviewer as well. *This isn't stated in anything I have ever heard/read from eBird central. However, unconfirming a record can lead to interesting and at times quite hostile behavior by observers. It’s not the norm, but it has happened to every single person I know who reviews. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Precisely. I would also say it’s partially for the protection of the reviewer as well. *This isn't stated in anything I have ever heard/read from eBird central. However, unconfirming a record can lead to interesting and at times quite hostile behavior by observers. It’s not the norm, but it has happened to every single person I know who reviews. 

Lots of people are grateful that you do it anyway!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DLecy said:

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Lots of people are grateful that you do it anyway!

Yes, thank you for all you do! I think they changed the message up as it is different from what I've seen before but I should have checked the Macauley link. As a birder who used to see "rarities" fairly frequently, I definitely understand the hard work that is put into evaluating the legitimacy of these sightings and am very grateful for those who have volunteered for the job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1