Whatbird Community

I beg to differ on the previous ID…I think it’s a hairy. Without a size reference, look at the beak. A downy’s beak is relatively short; petite, whereas the hairy’s beak is the same length as its head is wide. My vote’s on male hairy.

• Like 1

For what it's worth these are my thoughts on comparing Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers.

There are more field marks than just bill size to consider. I agree it would be helpful if there was something for a size reference, that being said, I do not see a shoulder spur, head shape looks more rounded to me, it is hard to see the back of its head but the red patch appears to be solid and not split in two. The angle of the photo is possibly making things appear different than they truly are. In addition to the field marks already mentioned other things to look for are, nasal tufts, neck patches, tail spots, or the lack of which is difficult to determine with this photo. 

• Like 2

Just now, lonesome55dove said:

tail spots, or the lack of which is difficult to determine with this photo

We’ve got a good view of the one tail feather and there are no tail spots so that supports Hairy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neilpa said:

We’ve got a good view of the one tail feather and there are no tail spots so that supports Hairy.

If you look at the long crack in the tree bark, following it down to the tail it looks like a very faint black spot near the end. Again, the angle of the photo is causing things to look differently.