Whatbird Community

Hooded vs. Orchard Oriole

Orchard. It's bill is petite and overall it has much more of a "sparrow vibe" than an "oriole vibe" to me, which is typically an indicator of an Orchard Oriole.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DLecy said:

Orchard. It's bill is petite and overall it has much more of a "sparrow vibe" than an "oriole vibe" to me, which is typically an indicator of an Orchard Oriole.

Interesting comparison.  When I saw my life Orchard Orioles, I initially wondered what kind of warbler they were.  (It was a long time ago, and I don't remember what tipped me off--possibly seeing an adult male.)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Interesting comparison.  When I saw my life Orchard Orioles, I initially wondered what kind of warbler they were.  (It was a long time ago, and I don't remember what tipped me off--possibly seeing an adult male.)

I have heard that before. OROR are surprisingly small. Pictures 1-4 have a seriously sparrow-like feel to them for me. Look at how it’s perched, etc. Warbler/sparrow, they are one and the same.

• Haha 3

On 5/31/2024 at 7:19 AM, Jerry Friedman said:

Similar experience for me. I had my only Orchard Oriole tagged in my photos as a Yellow Warbler from when I was a brand new birder. Only caught my mistake way later when reviewing my old pics a while ago.

• Like 2