Whatbird Community

Baby Bird found on lawn

I believe my dogs knocked this baby bird out of a bush or had a nest in the ground.  It is fairly big baby but cannot fly, still very fluffy.  Does anyone know what bird this is?  I did not see any other baby birds around.  This was taken in Southwest Wisconsin today.

Karen

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you and that makes sense.  Also it makes my dogs innocent of knocking it out of a bush.  We have woods 30 yrds from the house and we do have wild turkeys in the woods.  Turkeys should be hatching about now so this guy must have wonder out of the woods and down to the house.  The dogs only saw him in the lawn and were curious.  There is no way we missed a big turkey nesting in our front bushes or would they come that close to the house to nest with our 2 big dogs.  Hopefully mom found him last night.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kfhgw said:

Thank you and that makes sense.  Also it makes my dogs innocent of knocking it out of a bush.  We have woods 30 yrds from the house and we do have wild turkeys in the woods.  Turkeys should be hatching about now so this guy must have wonder out of the woods and down to the house.  The dogs only saw him in the lawn and were curious.  There is no way we missed a big turkey nesting in our front bushes or would they come that close to the house to nest with our 2 big dogs.  Hopefully mom found him last night.

You are welcome. I had a momma turkey nest on my deck this spring. The firethorn bush had grown over the deck and made a lovely little hiding spot. She laid 9 eggs and they all hatched out on the 23rd of May. I found her by pure accident, when they decide to hunker down and sit they don't move around much so it is possible for something that big to go unnoticed. 

Wild Turkey

Edited by lonesome55dove
  • Like 2