Whatbird Community

Background Mystery Flyby

Photos and/or video taken on day of posting in the Dallas, Tx area.

I know this is a long shot, but something flew from the ground into the tree right behind our feeder cam. Any ideas at all?

Untitleed.jpg

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Doesn't it have the tail pattern of an Accipiter?  And the wing shape looks very wrong for a dove to me.

I agree. I’m on my phone, but why isn’t this a COOP?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

And I think this is the same bird flying away from the ground in front of the camera a few seconds later:

Which looks to me like it may be the same bird I posted in this thread:

https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/33370-hawk-species/#comment-267687

ETA: And I now notice in one of the videos from April he lands in the same exact spot in the tree.

Edited by Greyhawk

5 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Doesn't it have the tail pattern of an Accipiter?  And the wing shape looks very wrong for a dove to me.

The videos have me abandoning Team Dove.  In the first video, around 0:05, that sure looks like a hooked beak.

• Like 3

Yikes! I didn’t realize the initial post had two photos, I thought they were one photo with two birds, each flying up to a feeder!! I never would’ve assumed there to be two cooper’s that close so I thought they were doves haha 😂. Looking again, I agree with Cooper’s

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Yikes! I didn’t realize the initial post had two photos, I thought they were one photo with two birds, each flying up to a feeder!! I never would’ve assumed there to be two cooper’s that close so I thought they were doves haha 😂. Looking again, I agree with Cooper’s

Yeah, it was visible for two frames as it flew up into the tree. Sorry for not making it clearer.

34 minutes ago, Greyhawk said:

Does the shape of the tail suggest Sharp-shinned over Cooper's?

No.

It's also important to pay attention to status and distribution. Sharp-shinned Hawks do not breed anywhere near Dallas. A SSHA record in June would be totally unprecedented, whereas Cooper's Hawks are year-round residents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Now here's @Greyhawk who has two in a week!  :classic_sad:

I guess my next project ought to be to set up a second camera for the ground, like some other feeder cams do. Some birds like to feed on the ground and not go up to the hanging feeders. Also there's critter activity at night. About 4 this morning there was a possum and a raccoon out there at the same time.

Capture.JPG