Whatbird Community

An Interesting Escapee?

Spotted this bird today, June 10, in St. Kitts in the Caribbean. Obviously an escapee, but I am curious to know what type of bird is it? Same bird was seen in November 2023 and again a couple of days ago, so it has been around for a while. Has a black ring around its neck, a reddish beak and a very long tail. Quite large in size.

Any ideas?

P1330542.JPG

P1330540.JPG

P1330532.JPG

P1330541.JPG

1 hour ago, lonesome55dove said:

Looks like a Ring-necked Parakeet

55 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

Oh, snap! I just noticed that blasted auto-correct zapped me...it should have been, Ringneck Parakeet.

Neither of those are actual birds…

Another name for the Rose-ringed Parakeet is the Ring-necked Parakeet. Remember that common names are not standardized or regulated by any scientific body, they could be called unripe bananas for all I care, they’re still Psittacula krameri.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Another name for the Rose-ringed Parakeet is the Ring-necked Parakeet. Remember that common names are not standardized or regulated by any scientific body, they could be called unripe bananas for all I care, they’re still Psittacula krameri.

And they're called Ringneck or Ring-necked Parakeets in the pet trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

5 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

And they're called Ringneck or Ring-necked Parakeets in the pet trade.

Well, I stand corrected, although I have no clue how I would’ve known they’re also called that 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, IKLland said:

Well, I stand corrected, although I have no clue how I would’ve known they’re also called that 

You wouldn't, but you could have looked up "Ring-necked Parakeet", or looked up "Rose-ringed Parakeet" or "Psittacula krameri" and seen whether it has other names.  Lots of species kept as pets have different names in the pet world and the birding world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1