Whatbird Community

Thought on updated eBird mobile app?

DLecy

Haven't updated my ebird yet but I must say that the recent Merlin update removed the option to switch species forward or back without going back to home which is really annoying. Most of the rest of the updates were either a plus or a neutral though.

I don’t mind the new eBird layout, seems to have pretty much the same exact features (correct me if I’m wrong though!). Seems fairly like a neutral charge to me, much better than the eBird website update from a few months ago. 

Posted (edited)

I don't recall the exact changes but I thought they were pretty minor.  I don't recall having issues adapting to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about Merlin's new 'Bird of the Day' feature.  I guess it's harmless, but has anyone gone out searching for it only because M suggested it? 

I can see it now, a whole new birding stat - 'Consecutive Merlin BofD Sightings'.  That will be recorded for Yard, Patch, County, State, and Life, of course.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

I noticed a bug right away but didn't realize it was from a new version.  I first noticed the problem on June 29th, when in the field, I wanted to report the sub-species Eastern Towhee (White-eyed).  In the past, to do this with eBird Mobile, I would just type something that wasn't a bird, and then click "Can't find your bird?', then select, "Search All species."  However, now, under "Search all Species," the app does not find the sub-species.  So, for these issues, I have to correct the observation with eBird over the web.

I just tried the same with American Kestrel (Southeastern) and the app also can't find the subspecies.

Edited by dragon49

I submitted the bug to Cornell and a logic Bot replied:

4) Show subspecies in the eBird app: tap the three dots or lines on the home screen to open the app settings > toggle 'Show subspecies for data entry' to the ON position. Only report subspecies if you are confident the identification is correct. 

This works, however, I do need to point out that although this is faster than what I had been doing, Cornell did change something.

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Well, yeah; that's what new software releases are for, to implement changes.

Please delete, or just ignore.

Edited by dragon49

14 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Were there any real changes other than retexturing of fonts/layout?

Not really. The goal was to enhance the visual unity between eBird mobile and Merlin across both the iOS and Android platforms. I heard that in some contexts the "submit" tab is visually more prominent, but I didn't really notice that on my iOS version.

I was mostly wondering because people were pretty vocal in their distaste for the new font and visual layout of the web based platform earlier this year.

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

I was mostly wondering because people were pretty vocal in their distaste for the new font and visual layout of the web based platform earlier this year.

For decades, the number on a NASCAR race car was centered between the front and rear wheels.  Two years ago, NASCAR announced the number is to be positioned more forward, a few inches from the front wheel well.  This would allow more space for sponsor logos. 

The change had absolutely no effect on how the cars perform on the race track but to hear some people scream, you'd think the drivers were being required to sacrifice a baby seal on the hood and paint the numbers with the blood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

For decades, the number on a NASCAR race car was centered between the front and rear wheels.  Two years ago, NASCAR announced the number is to be positioned more forward, a few inches from the front wheel well.  This would allow more space for sponsor logos. 

The change had absolutely no effect on how the cars perform on the race track but to hear some people scream, you'd think the drivers were being required to sacrifice a baby seal on the hood and paint the numbers with the blood.

Change is apparently hard, or so I have heard.

• Like 1