Whatbird Community

Distant flock of large shorebirds, Montezuma NWR NY 7/9/24

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Just for the sake of clarity I thought it should be pointed out that it's early July in the rest of the world too. 😁

And yet it's a different hour depending on where on the face of the earth you are.Β πŸ˜„

I am reminded of a blooper on one of my favorite episodes of the original Twilight Zone in the early 60's, "To Serve Man". The protagonist of the story is on a flying saucer headed back to the Kanamits' planet. He asks his captors what time it is. He is informed by a voice over the intercom that there is no standard time measurement that can be calibrated in space. He is annoyed and asks "No, what time is it on Earth?" The answer comes back "12 Noon". Now I understand if the aliens (or the TV writers) didn't want to get into a relativistic explanation of how it's not possible to establish simultaneity between separate frames of reference, but they could have at least told him that it's a different hour depending on where you are on Earth..

😝 

• Haha 3

To get back on topic πŸ™‚Β Here is the uncropped pic taken with a 500mm (10X power) from about 1000 yards away. Although I did see a large number of SB Dowitchers, these seemed like much larger shorebirds?

DSC_5326.JPG

Using a Nikon 500mm fixed lens & DSLR, basically amateur level compared to some of the local photographers. Posted this pic because it's the same view/magnification as my 10 x 42 binoculars (to give a perspective of their actual size).

• Thanks 1