Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
pdx_bird

Owl noise?

Hey all, I took these short recordings at around 4:30am in December in Portland, Oregon, in a residential neighborhood (with a few tall trees around). I've never been able to I.D. the sound, wondering if anyone knows? Hopefully the sound links work. Thanks.

Edited by pdx_bird

36 minutes ago, meghann said:

I think it's a begging call from either a Barred or Spotted Owl. After perusing xeno-canto, I'm leaning Spotted.

I listened last night and had NO idea what to think. I don't know ANY birds' begging calls really so I'd never get this one.

But...  with that in mind, pdx_bird, you might want to learn the normal calls of some of those and see if you hear the adults as well. Would be cool if you have a nest nearby.

Wait, would owls be begging in December in Oregon?

Either way, keep your eyes and ears open. If you can scout that neighborhood some more you might be able to solve the mystery. Just be sure not to disturb a nest if you find such a thing. 🙂

Thanks for the replies. I have heard Barred Owls call before nearby, but no nests that I know of close by. It does sound rather like an owl begging call. 

9 hours ago, meghann said:

I have no idea on Spotted Owl breeding seasons. It just struck me as sounding like an owl begging, and Barred sound raspier, although I wouldn't rule it out.

This one on xeno-canto sounded very similar. https://www.xeno-canto.org/254027

To be honest, Spotted Owl seems way too rare for this area even though the sound clip does sound similar.

So, I just found this Youtube video on a Barred Owl - female solicitation call. This seems like a possible match.

Edited by pdx_bird