Whatbird Community
three.toed

Possible White Yellow-headed Blackbird

Birded Lee Road just east of Whitewater Draw in Cochise County Arizona on the late afternoon of Jan 31, 2019 . There were a huge number as in several thousand (est) Blackbirds and a high percentage were Yellow-headed Blackbirds. There was one bird in particular that was stark white. It was mixed in with the other birds but would not provide a clear image. It remained low in the brush as if hiding. The structure appeared to be very similar for the adjacent blackbirds. The white color was the obvious difference. The attached photo is the best we could get. Anyone have any thoughts

white bird.jpg

Welcome...

That's a cool bird. Any pictures of any other poses? Not that it would help me personally a whole lot. I'm lost on that. I see ruffled feathers that make me wonder if it was calling/singing. I'd say that's a good way to ID them as well but not so much when there are thousands of them around.

Thanks for sharing. I hope someone has some useful thoughts on ID but I sure can't make much out of it. :(

Structurally, it does look good for a blackbird. Possibly a highly leucistic or albino individual. More shots would have helped, particularly of the face, but sometimes you get what you get!

Edited by meghann

Looks good to me for a female or young Male Yellow-headed. I've seen a few over the years that look just like this one. 

Edit: duh. I was looking at the normal bird and missed the pale one. You're on your own there. Sorry!

Edited by Creeker
Add
  • Haha 1