Whatbird Community

I have just moved to the West and I'm not familiar with the lesser goldfinches just the American goldfinch. I have examined some ID sources for lesser goldfinches and it appears their wings are not as dark and there is more of a yellowish hue to their plumage even in winter. Corrections or other identifying marks will be appreciated.

• Like 1

The yellow undertail coverts and the streaking on the back rule out American.  Lessers are also more greenish-yellow overall.

I'm not good with anything but American myself as that's all I've seen in person(that I know of) but I've spent some time TRYING to compare some of them. I often forget these little details.
I've stared at some in the yard that look odd to me... and a few undertails have thrown me as the american can have a little color under there but, it's more of a brownish than yellow. With those things in mind, that bird has a pretty good yellowish wash to it underneath considering... 
You can look at pictures HERE of the lesser and scroll through them. You'll find an immature that is pretty close to your bird.