Whatbird Community

Today, Augusta, GA. With nothing better to do, I'm trying to turn a standard edition Double-crested Cormorant into a Neotropic. There seems to be more of a white border on the gullar than I can find on any examples of Double-crested. I know, long shot in more ways than one. Thanks.

Cormorant 1 2-13-19.JPG

Cormorant 2 2-13-19.JPG

Cormorant 3 2-13-19.JPG

interesting bird. I had to look at the field guide. Size is off for neotropic and, the lores should be yellow on the double crested like you see on this bird. As I scanned through the page on the double-crested in Sibley's it shows that the younger ones have a pale rounded border of bare skin there. I'm guessing this one is coming into its adult plumage and this is just that bare skin.
That's about all I can say. It's definitely not a neotropic based on size and other features.

Not bad shots to help. We have a local hotspot that gets a solitary neotropic almost every summer but it's usually a good ways out and it's often tough to pick up on depending on how far out and who is nearby for comparison.

• Like 1

I agree with millipede. You need to find us the Great Cormorant like you did last year! (Although I wouldn't be mad if you found us a Neotropic. I don't see any ebird reports in our area, um, ever.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, millipede said:

...It's definitely not a neotropic based on size and other features...

6 hours ago, meghann said:

I agree with millipede. You need to find us the Great Cormorant like you did last year! (Although I wouldn't be mad if you found us a Neotropic. I don't see any ebird reports in our area, um, ever.)

Thanks. DC it is.

The Great Cormorant was first seen March 29. It stayed for close to three weeks. It would be great if it would come back. You are more than welcome to find it for us.it should be looking a little different by now.