Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
TooFly

Godwit?

San Diego, Ca 02/15/19. Bird is larger than Marbled (also in photo) with different baring. I sleuth is saying “Hudsonian Godwit” (which Sibley states is smaller than Marbled) What do you see?

15B40CAB-14AC-4B1E-BF04-C92E9A686960.jpeg

according to eBird there shouldn't be anything but marbled there, especially this time of year.  The picture is throwing me a LOT. Almost looks like someone created a bird using different birds.

Definitely wait for the "experts" to weigh in...  but I am wondering if it's possible that in the first photo the bird was simply REALLY puffed up at the time. You can see the bottom of the bird looks all fluffy compared to any of the birds around it. If its whole body was puffed up it would significantly change how we saw it.

I'm not saying that's what's going on here but that's the only explanation I have at the moment.  The bar-tailed, according to eBird, is the only other one that's been reported in San Diego county... That shouldn't appear bigger than a marbled I think but the plumage would be different. Can't tell if the feathers look different here because they are different or just look different IF the bird is indeed puffed up.

I'm very interested in what others will say. 

I agree Marbled is expected...but I don’t see baring on the tail like the others, I don’t see a buff eye ring, the eyeliner is darker, the head looks bigger also, not just the body, everything about this bird is twice the size...

28 minutes ago, TooFly said:

I don’t see a buff eye ring, the eyeliner is darker, the head looks bigger also

to me it looks like the neck and head feathers are all puffed up as well so MAYBE this accounts for that as well.
These are just my speculations/observations on the bird. I'm not offering ID help...  There are times we'll watch feeder birds and be like "Wow, that one is so much bigger than the others" and it's just the bird being all puffed up. The carolina wren shows more pattern on it when it's all puffed up.
Most of these guys and gals are pretty reliable with the ID's.  Wait for a few more just in case...

Now, time to go do a little more Great Backyard Bird Count-ing and maybe pick up some half off valentine's candy. :)

5 hours ago, akiley said:

I think I just saw these exact photos on Facebook. All of them are Marbled Godwits.

Thanks! You did...I was actually testing which site gets faster and more accurate responses!!! #busted 😳🤦🏼‍♂️😬

Testing because you already knew or, just testing in general? Either way, no worries. I think it's good to test things. And it never hurts to check more than one source and ask around. :)