Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
alndonna

Chestnut-Backed Chickadee with brown throat???

Looks like a typical Chestnut-backed to me. Maybe the angle/lighting can make the throat patch look black at times, but it is indeed dark brown, as is the cap. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 12:34 AM, alndonna said:

There are 7 chickadees in the US, but Sibley says they all have black throat patches.

I just looked at Sibley's 2nd edition... doesn't say anything about the bib but the picture sure ALL look black.

On 2/16/2019 at 8:39 AM, IvoryBillHope said:

but it is indeed dark brown, as is the cap. 

hmm... Sibley doesn't show that at all... nor describe it unfortunately.  All About birds shows that the cap is dark DARK brown but often appears black. Says nothing of the bib... and says that the face is black and white.

I don't really know anything about this species but none of the pictures I've looked at (just now) look anything like theirs. Maybe it's a lighting thing? Like the sheen on a duck, some blackbirds, hummingbirds, doves, etc?
All the pictures in the guides it looks black there.  Maybe this is one of those things that simply isn't described as well as it could be....?

I'm looking at Sibley second edition and he has painted the throat and cap very dark brown. I've also seen this species in the wild, trust me, brown is the right color. From distance I guarantee it looks black and white though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IvoryBillHope said:

I'm looking at Sibley second edition and he has painted the throat and cap very dark brown.

unless you're not looking at the book in full light. Last night all I saw was what LOOKED black(same book) but today I turned and held it into the sunlight and, I can see it now... at least on the "fresh adult."  I will repeat that this is something that should have been described in the book. or even on All About Birds

Hmmm.... even though you can see that in ONE of the images in Sibley... is it in fact an ID mark? grr, it really should be mentioned as one even if it's something you only see sometimes.
THIS website... Whatbird... actually describes the throat as BLACK...  " Cap and throat are black; cheek patch is white "

Seems to me there's a bit of a failing among the sources we're supposed to trust on this ID mark.  hmmm  :(