Whatbird Community

Hawk ID help

6 minutes ago, Melierax said:

The second is actually a Harrier - facial disk I just noticed

Good eye. I saw what looked like part of the "V" on that left side and didn't study the face at all...(blurry pictures hurt my brain sometimes... ha)

1 minute ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Agree with Red-shouldered

As I look back and study the bird, I think I see some faint marking on the back that you'd see on a red-shouldered... but it is quite faint. Omitting that detail, can you explain to me(I'm TRYING to learn) what to look for in that picture for red-shouldered?
It does look less BIG(for lack of better way of putting it) than I might expect a red-tailed...
I hope me asking questions isn't too much of a bother. I learn better this way than reading a book. I get lost in those and have a hard time remembering. :( 

• Like 1

For starters, there's actually no belly band. I know it's hard to see because the photo is overexposed or whatever, but the streaking continues all the way to the dark head/throat. Also, and I'm not sure how much of a real field mark this is, but Red-shouldereds always look like they have smaller beaks than Red-taileds to me. 

EDIT: Referring to photo one here. 

Edited by IvoryBillHope
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

For starters, there's actually no belly band. I know it's hard to see because the photo is overexposed or whatever, but the streaking continues all the way to the dark head/throat. Also, and I'm not sure how much of a real field mark this is, but Red-shouldereds always look like they have smaller beaks than Red-taileds to me. 

EDIT: Referring to photo one here. 

Thanks. Some of that might sink in. 🙂 
I agree with the exposure on the first image...  and I've seen red-tailed hawks where the streaking continued fairly high. The bill comment makes sense to me, especially after the red-tailed I had that landed so close recently.

Both are looking easier to pick up on with the latest pictures.

Thanks for the patience...  I want to be as quick as some of you with some of the birds I struggle with and sometimes asking these questions helps me. I just wish my brain actually retained everything it was exposed to. :classic_rolleyes: