Whatbird Community

Vireo of some kind?

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

It's a warbler, probably Yellow-Throated but wait for someone more familiar with them.

Where are you and when did you see the bird?

On my balcony in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Is he a vagrant? Doesn't seem to be part of their normal range.

According to the map on All About Birds, they winter in Mexico but they don't show on that side of Mexico.
But, a lot of maps out there don't have real-time and accurate data so they can be off a bit.

According to eBird they definitely winter in your area. When they're up here in the warmer months they're not always easy to find/see so perhaps they've been around your area and they just hide well normally. Always a good bird to get to see out in the open as they spend a lot of time in tree tops.

3 minutes ago, millipede said:

According to the map on All About Birds, they winter in Mexico but they don't show on that side of Mexico.
But, a lot of maps out there don't have real-time and accurate data so they can be off a bit.

According to eBird they definitely winter in your area. When they're up here in the warmer months they're not always easy to find/see so perhaps they've been around your area and they just hide well normally. Always a good bird to get to see out in the open as they spend a lot of time in tree tops.

OK. Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Look closer on the Pacific side again, buddy!

I compared their map with where Puerto Vallarta is and there's no color there for non-breeding or migration. To me, that's an incomplete map. Having migration colors shouldn't leave me to ASSUME where they MIGHT show up.  If you looked at a field guide that way and saw they don't occur there you'd consider the bird out of range.
Which is why I often use those maps along with eBird.  Some(probably a lot) birds will show on a guide map as not being present normally but in reality, are quite common.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

All About Birds shows they wintering further down the coast

the map SHOULD show that if they might winter there, the possible migration paths. Given the little they show for migration AND where they summer, Puerto Vallarta is out of the way and, out of range. REALLY messing with the dates(years and months) on eBird show that the bird is showing up all over the US more often AND that the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico should(in my opinion) show as a wintering ground. I limited the time frame down to Dec-Jan in the last 10 years and they're still a fairly common occurrence there. Basically I'm saying that All About Birds does not show them wintering in Puerto Vallarta and I'm suggesting that they DO. :)

Sorry for my over-explanation.  Most guide maps today just leave a lot of common occurrences out... and I think many ought to be updated.

• Like 1