Whatbird Community
Scyla

Hawk on Vancouver island

Hi everyone,

I was with my family at the park a couple of days ago in Campbell river, Vancouver island. When this bird managed to take down a pigeon in the parking lot. We were only a few feet away.

My daughter wants to know what type it is to take the picture in for show and tell at school and I was looking for some help to know exactly what it is we saw.

Thanks!

20190217_121959.jpg

• Like 2

Is there anything that confirms this? We thought it was at first. We showed some friends and they told us it's super rare and unlikely, my daughter didnt want to get made fun of if it wasnt what we said.

20190217_122005_013.jpg

i think this is definitely a peregrine. the coloration of the feathers & feet, the pattern around the eyes and neck, and the shape of the head and bill. they specialize in hunting birds and aren't as rare as they used to be (but this is still a very cool encounter!!)

Thanks for the replies everyone! We also talked to Mars and they confirmed aswell. My 8yr old wrote down a bunch of facts and printed out the picture and took it for show and tell. She was pretty proud!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

Thanks for the replies everyone! We also talked to Mars and they confirmed aswell. My 8yr old wrote down a bunch of facts and printed out the picture and took it for show and tell. She was pretty proud!

Glad to hear it went well.  Another budding ornithologist!  Eight?  A peregrine taking down a pigeon is a pretty big slice of 'Circle of Life' at that age.

What's 'Mars'?  That may be a new resource for me

Edited by Charlie Spencer