Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
VRVan

Birding South Texas

Going on a birding trip for about a week in the next few weeks. I've read about the World Birding Center sites, Aransas and a few others. 

Does anyone have insight on the best of the best places in the area? I'll be looking for sea birds at Padre Island and possibly Aransas, (also Cranes). Also interested in the Rio Grande specialities.

Thx

Lots of great places in South Texas.  Estero Llano, Sabal Palm, Bentson-Rio, and Santa Ana are always good for the specialty birds.  Some species like Audobon's Oriole tend to be more reliable out at Salineno.  The Whooping Cranes are further north.  If flying from Corpus Christi, it often makes sense to look for the cranes either at the beginning or end of the trip when you are up that direction.

I'd pay attention to where the rarities are being reported.  Currently lots of good birds like Golden-crowned Warbler, Blue Bunting, Hook-billed Kite, Roadside Hawk, and Crimson-collared Grosbeak.  I'd focus on going to those locations and picking up the specialty birds along the way.  After that you should have very few remaining targets (like perhaps Aplomado Falcon), and then use eBird to direct you to those remaining species.  If you don't care about the rarities, then I'd just tour the main WBC sites and you'll have a great time.

Edited by guy_incognito