Whatbird Community
I A Munro

huttons vireo? golden crowned kinglet? other?

I see two white wingbars, a broken white eyering, yellow edging on the dark wings, and an overall olive color.  It's a Kinglet, but Ruby-Crowned, not Golden-Crowned.  The yellow on a Golden-Crowned is visible all the time; the red on a Ruby-Crowned is only displayed when the bird is agitated.

Yeah, they're cute little suckers.  I suspect this one was bouncing all over the place?  Nice pics; their activity makes them a real challenge to shoot!

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby-crowned_Kinglet/overview

Edited by Charlie Spencer

32 minutes ago, IvoryBillHope said:

Bill shape says Hutton's Vireo. 

and maybe color? Good call. I just looked at eBird and both would be there this time of year... and it might look more like one wingbar on a kinglet...  but to be honest, I'm glad I don't have those two in my neighborhood at the same time... with pictures it might not be so bad but just seeing something in the field for a moment I think this bird would drive me nutty. 
Anyway, I think I'm on the hutton's side but I'm not the right person to ask on this one...

It's most definitely a Hutton's Vireo.  Thicker bill, thicker and somewhat bluish colored legs.  Also note that it lacks the "kinglet bar", which is the dark black "bar" beneath the lower white wing bar.

• Like 2

thank you!! this is a bird i see pretty often near me. relieved to have an ID and some good tips for next time 🙂

Edited by I A Munro