Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Melkor

Grosbeak, Redpoll irruption?

Hi Folks-

Did anyone get the predicted Evening Grosbeak, Redpoll, Siskin irruption this winter? I had EVGR for the first time in my yard this Nov., but since then I've had nothing unusual. In fact, I've had lower numbers for many of the common species this year (Goldies, Juncos).

Just curious.

Scott

I'm a bit south for most of those (NC), but we had Pine Siskins in the yard for the first time in several years.  Good numbers too, forty or fifty. 

We've had them all at our place, but not in huge numbers.  We saw Evening Grosbeaks in the fall and Common Redpolls, Pine Siskins, and Pine Grosbeaks have been here on and off throughout the fall and winter.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

I've even further down than IBH, in SC.  I had Pine Siskins and Purple Finches in small numbers, early in the winter for a few days and again a few weeks ago.  I never had more than a half-dozen of either.  In 14 years, I only had siskins once before, in '16-'17.  I've never seen Purples in my yard before.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll catch some of these on their way back north...

I just noticed I posted this accidentally to the Birding Trips discussion....oops!

Posted (edited)

We had siskins here in Georgia for the first time in years. Some people on my local Audubon group were complaining, because they had so many they were emptying the feeders too fast. Lol. The most I've had is 11, I think. They are still here as of today.

Someone in Georgia last week had a repoll in their yard. Would have loved to have seen it! 

Edited by meghann
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Reverse irruption - I've had more Eastern Towhees in my yard this winter than the last several years combined.  I've probably had a couple a week, both sexes.  Not a lot, but until this year I've never had any in the winter.  I've also averaged about one Red-Winged a week, another bird I don't normally have in the cold months.

Edited by Charlie Spencer