Whatbird Community

Hi, All.  Is this a juvenile Laughing Gull or something else?  The black band on the tailfeathers was throwing me.  Also,  I cannot see his feet.    February 26, 2019.  Apalachicola.  Dock near where seafood market dumps offal.  Tons of gulls, pelicans, grackles, etc.

6K7A3759.jpg

I'm not that great with gulls... From this angle, I'm not even sure I can say that's definitively a gull as there are other ocean type birds that look a LOT like them to me.  So, I'm not a lot of help with that photo.

I will say that among the gulls there are several(at least) that have black on the tail like that when they're younger so I'm not sure we can use that alone to ID the bird.

5 minutes ago, floraphile said:

In Florida?

I can't answer what it is but can say, you really never can tell what will show up where...  🙂

• Like 1

Maybe a Laughing Gull. Birds of North America Online (subscription required) says, 'Note pale underwing-coverts with dark tips; axillaries dark creating distinct dark "armpit."'  The pattern in the photo looks a lot like this bird, with the dark starting at the body and trailing edge of the wing and making a short line toward the middle of the wing and forward.

I've only seen a few Laughing Gulls and I don't know much about gulls in general, but I do know that a lot of species have black tail-tips, and I think you'd need good reasons to eliminate them before considering Black-tailed Gull in the Lower 48.

• Like 1

I am going to refrain from an ID on this gull, and I'm not saying that's what it is, but I will say there was a Black-tailed Gull in FL a few weeks back. Caused quite the commotion on the ABA Rare page on Facebook.

18 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

but I do know that a lot of species have black tail-tips, and I think you'd need good reasons to eliminate them before considering Black-tailed Gull in the Lower 48.

Occam's Razor.

• Like 2