Whatbird Community
TooFly

San Diego Sapsucker

02/26/19 San Diego, Ca

I posted this to FB and a few people think it’s good for a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. I’m on the fence and have not heard back from the reviewers which has me scared...

here is a link to a video I made Incase you want to see behavior. There are two separate clips on the video.

9180A5CD-9F54-4AAC-BFDD-F1CE31B5C605.jpeg

1D175852-B239-4E6D-8E12-7C83F2DC250A.jpeg

F5DC4EE5-1003-4903-B94E-3DB7C8E332F6.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow... well, hmmm....  I just tried using All About Birds as well as Sibley's(not second ed.) and I'm just not sure what to think here. Part of me wonders, based on Sibley's description, if a better view of the back might help, looking at the pattern on the back...  Sibley shows markings in two rows on the red-naped and extensive barring on the yellow-bellied. It also describes that a female red-naped can have all red below the bill and be missing the little white patch... AND it could also not have any red on the nape... making it look a LOT like a male yellow-bellied.

In some of the pictures, the black border at the back of the red that's on the top of the head is thicker on a yellow-bellied making me want to say this is a female red-naped... but if some things are variable, I'm sure that is as well.

I'm wondering if people are going to have quick answers or if this will be another nice tricky bird...  Fun...  🙂 

So all that to say, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone has some good experience with both birds and can shed some light. Thanks for sharing.

Cool!  I can't really help, but something I noticed right away is that its throat and cap appear so much more orange than the Yellow-bellieds I see here.  I don't know if that makes any difference (or if it's just the camera), but I'm wondering if anyone else has mentioned that to you.

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Cool!  I can't really help, but something I noticed right away is that its throat and cap appear so much more orange than the Yellow-bellieds I see here.  I don't know if that makes any difference (or if it's just the camera), but I'm wondering if anyone else has mentioned that to you.

Nope. No one else brought it up...but someone who just refound it stated it had good spots on the back like a red breasted 🤷‍♂️ Maybe it’s a mix of three species 😩😂🤣

• Like 1