Whatbird Community

9/15 NW Arkansas

A few more pictures from September 2015

Guessing a heron? Gotta love pictures like this...
92315what.JPG.4daf9fb05332d5dfea44ed3d1efb0c6e.JPG

northern parula? I have a few more pictures of this bird if necessary... seemed very yellow...
92515nopa.JPG.b8931740b4e11842ecb08b0813888f69.JPG

Accipiter? These two may or may not be the same bird...
92715accip.JPG.25a9765d8383a0d8b34e4a9da571d18b.JPG92715accip2.JPG.d425bc40b60da9e16707dd8fe6c9136d.JPG

Something about the marks on this dove, especially on the face, seems off... just a young mourning dove???
92715dove.thumb.JPG.9745d013e724a6ecfa4a39e57c747942.JPG

A hawk... fun...
92715hawk.JPG.2dcb7f54801eeee02f9f9d8326ca5805.JPG

I see yellow on the legs I believe which means least... correct?
92715lesa.JPG.cdc94336c89b2be9e474cc837699b3d0.JPG

Like this?  ?   Having seen orange-crowned warblers in the yard before, I would have been surprised if that one got confirmed. It was a bad angle in that picture but it was the best quality out of the few I had.  The distribution/placement of the color seemed more NOPA but, for whatever reason, it just looked like more yellow than I expected. And it's always interesting looking back over three years at pictures and notes.

92515nopa2.JPG

92515nopa3.JPG

My first impression on #1 was Spotted Sandpiper, but I don't know.

I agree with Sharpie for #3/4 and young MODO for #5.

I'd call #6 a Red-shouldered Hawk.  The tail is long, but not long enough for an Accipiter.  It is bulkier than an Accipiter, but the tail bands aren't thin enough for a young Red-tailed.

18 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

My first impression on #1 was Spotted Sandpiper, but I don't know.

Here's an image with more of the background in it. I believe the bird is larger than one of those sandpipers. I wish I had a better memory. I'm pretty certain this was at a local lake in a spot that, well I remember one time seeing a bird fly over to that location as it was getting darker... too far and too dim to see(might not be this bird, I think it was a little darker) and I was kind of thinking/hoping night heron.
Would be nice if you could make out any details... is that dark area its head or, just a dark area? I sure can't tell.  So while I'm thinking it's bigger than a spotted or solitary sandpiper, I'm fairly certain we can't do much more than play a guessing game here... which can be fun.

92315what2.JPG.6ec5075966d5db4a298535198adf0997.JPG

Is there anything that rules out coopers easily and points to sharp-shinned? The wings do look forward a little but I am not sure if that's quite good enough to go on or not. And the potential red-shouldered...  how confident on that one? I hope to get more and more and MORE old lists put on eBird and I want to be accurate where I can be accurate and just put hawk sp. if I'm not so sure.  I know I have a LOT of photos that are just going to be difficult to get solid IDs from but I'll enjoy the ones that can be solved...

On 2/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, The Bird Nuts said:

Pretty sure #2 is indeed a Northern Parula (green back contrasting with bluish wings, greenish head, bluish cheeks, bright yellow throat and upper breast).  Photos of the wingbars would confirm it.

Thanks.  Sorry I messed up on that one.

Scott

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 12:50 PM, millipede said:

Here's an image with more of the background in it. I believe the bird is larger than one of those sandpipers. I wish I had a better memory. I'm pretty certain this was at a local lake in a spot that, well I remember one time seeing a bird fly over to that location as it was getting darker... too far and too dim to see(might not be this bird, I think it was a little darker) and I was kind of thinking/hoping night heron.
Would be nice if you could make out any details... is that dark area its head or, just a dark area? I sure can't tell.  So while I'm thinking it's bigger than a spotted or solitary sandpiper, I'm fairly certain we can't do much more than play a guessing game here... which can be fun.

92315what2.JPG.6ec5075966d5db4a298535198adf0997.JPG

Is there anything that rules out coopers easily and points to sharp-shinned? The wings do look forward a little but I am not sure if that's quite good enough to go on or not. And the potential red-shouldered...  how confident on that one? I hope to get more and more and MORE old lists put on eBird and I want to be accurate where I can be accurate and just put hawk sp. if I'm not so sure.  I know I have a LOT of photos that are just going to be difficult to get solid IDs from but I'll enjoy the ones that can be solved...

Besides the tiny recessed head, the tail feathers are all the same length, so that even with the tail spread it looks more squared than rounded.

I based my RSHA id on the buteo shape and the thin white lines on the tail.

Scott

Edit, oh wow! I.just realized I originally said cooper's.   No, I clearly wasn't seeing it right.  RSHA for me.

Edited by cavan wood