Whatbird Community

#1 Is definitely in the California Gull complex, could be a hybrid with Herring, looks a little chunky, but could be pure. Ring-billed would be much slimmer, especially the head. #2 Looks like it could have some Herring in it, but I prefer not to touch those ugly west coast gulls 😅

Edited by egosnell2002
  • Thanks 1

C2CC3527-067F-4E00-B370-3171B80AFCD3.thumb.jpeg.f654c042b7166db2e2fb0c824ce142f8.jpeg#1 first winter Ring Billed  found pretty much across lower 48 coast to coast,they don’t get the ring until they get older..This is the vast majority of the gulls we get here .. Pass on 2 as I am not at all familiar with the western gull species.This was taken recently in Ohio.

1 hour ago, John Landon said:

C2CC3527-067F-4E00-B370-3171B80AFCD3.thumb.jpeg.f654c042b7166db2e2fb0c824ce142f8.jpeg#1 first winter Ring Billed  found pretty much across lower 48 coast to coast,they don’t get the ring until they get older..This is the vast majority of the gulls we get here .. Pass on 2 as I am not at all familiar with the western gull species.This was taken recently in Ohio.

That's a Ring-billed.

5 minutes ago, John Landon said:

When you zoom into the original Washington state image,bird 1, notice the eye ring.This is consistent with Ring Billed.

Could you elaborate on the eye ring you're talking about? Not sure I understand what you're indicating. I don't have any personal experience with California Gull, but the OP's bird is not a Ring-billed.  The head shape, bill size, structure are all wrong.  Ring-bills are quite small and slim, like the photo you posted. 

Was in process of trying to delete that comment when it timed out.Please disregard.There is a small pale tip to end of bill in bird 1.Herring 2 year seems right but leg color is off,but it may be shadows throwing it off.Are Herring common in that location? 

11 hours ago, John Landon said:

Was in process of trying to delete that comment when it timed out.Please disregard.There is a small pale tip to end of bill in bird 1.Herring 2 year seems right but leg color is off,but it may be shadows throwing it off.Are Herring common in that location? 

Herrings are very common here