Whatbird Community

I took a few pictures of this little guy, came home, and after searching my books and a few online pages, can't come up with anything, so I turn to the experts. I'll just upload one picture, but another one with the bird facing away from me showed a small, yellow spot on the lower part of the body. I can post that if it would be helpful. Thanks.

unknown.jpg

12 hours ago, roadcykler said:

the bird facing away from me showed a small, yellow spot on the lower part of the body.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your other picture probably shows the yellow rump of the yellow-rumped warbler. :classic_wink:

The top side of a bird's body just above where the tail begins is called the "rump" by birders; that yellow rump is a great field mark for Yellow-Rumped Warblers, even in non-breeding plumage.

• Haha 1

Thank you all. It must be a juvenile because all the other pictures I've seen of those, there are other, more visible yellow areas.

22 minutes ago, roadcykler said:

Thank you all. It must be a juvenile because all the other pictures I've seen of those, there are other, more visible yellow areas.

I'm not sure if it's a juvenile or just in non-breeding plumage; someone else will probably know!

6 hours ago, roadcykler said:

Yes, yours seems to be the western type, "Audubon's", and if it were an adult it would have a bright yellow throat.  Where was this taken, by the way?

(Technically it's an immature, not a juvenile, since "juvenile" for birds means the first set of non-down feathers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers molt those in July to September of their first year.)

Edited by Jerry Friedman

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Yes, yours seems to be the western type, "Audubon's", and if it were an adult it would have a bright yellow throat.  Where was this taken, by the way?

(Technically it's an immature, not a juvenile, since "juvenile" for birds means the first set of non-down feathers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers molt those in July to September of their first year.)

It was at Steigerwald NWR near Washougal, WA. As I watched, it was perched on some low branches over a pond and it would fly down and appeared to be drinking and then flew back to the same branches.

• Like 1