Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

I took a few pictures of this little guy, came home, and after searching my books and a few online pages, can't come up with anything, so I turn to the experts. I'll just upload one picture, but another one with the bird facing away from me showed a small, yellow spot on the lower part of the body. I can post that if it would be helpful. Thanks.

unknown.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, roadcykler said:

the bird facing away from me showed a small, yellow spot on the lower part of the body.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your other picture probably shows the yellow rump of the yellow-rumped warbler. :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The top side of a bird's body just above where the tail begins is called the "rump" by birders; that yellow rump is a great field mark for Yellow-Rumped Warblers, even in non-breeding plumage.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all. It must be a juvenile because all the other pictures I've seen of those, there are other, more visible yellow areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, roadcykler said:

Thank you all. It must be a juvenile because all the other pictures I've seen of those, there are other, more visible yellow areas.

I'm not sure if it's a juvenile or just in non-breeding plumage; someone else will probably know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roadcykler said:

Thank you all. It must be a juvenile because all the other pictures I've seen of those, there are other, more visible yellow areas.

Yes, yours seems to be the western type, "Audubon's", and if it were an adult it would have a bright yellow throat.  Where was this taken, by the way?

(Technically it's an immature, not a juvenile, since "juvenile" for birds means the first set of non-down feathers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers molt those in July to September of their first year.)

Edited by Jerry Friedman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Yes, yours seems to be the western type, "Audubon's", and if it were an adult it would have a bright yellow throat.  Where was this taken, by the way?

(Technically it's an immature, not a juvenile, since "juvenile" for birds means the first set of non-down feathers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers molt those in July to September of their first year.)

It was at Steigerwald NWR near Washougal, WA. As I watched, it was perched on some low branches over a pond and it would fly down and appeared to be drinking and then flew back to the same branches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...