Whatbird Community

Taken Feb 28 in boat ramp/fishing pier area of campground

Image 1, 2, & 4:  ?Great-tailed Grackle (male, ,male, female)

Image 3: Bird in back--Great-tailed Grackle;  bird in front--Crow.  I only heard Fish Crows calling, so favor FC, if it is a crow

Grckl1.JPG

Grckl2.JPG

Grckl4Crw.jpg

Grckle3.jpg

1,2,4 are westoni Boat-tailed Grackles. No Great-tails in FL

Yes, crow sp. for 3

Edited by akiley

24 minutes ago, akiley said:

No Great-tails in FL

If I didn't know that, and I didn't, is there anything in the pictures that would help ID them? Looks like in some areas along the coast of Louisiana and Texas there could be some overlap making it a frustrating bird. While looking in Sibley, just drawings, it shows great-tailed as being more purplish on the body and the boat-tailed as being greener. My untrained eyes, and the lack of other ID marks pointed out in the guide, would have me guessing great-tailed. Though while looking at Sibley's it seems the supercillium (if I spelled that correctly) looks good for boat-tailed on the female and the dark eye is good for the gulf coast boat-tailed...  but I'm rambling. I guess if I'm ever in the overlap area I'll be reporting a lot of boat-tailed/great-tailed... ha.

As for the crow... Studying the branches(I know how dumb I sound) the birds look to me like they are on the smaller side, combined with what you heard, I'd want to call them fish crows... BUT...  that's just speculation so I'd agree with crow sp. as was mentioned.

To add to that... anyone that ever reports to eBird, if you can be certain of a bird ID by call(even if you don't see it) you can still report them being present.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, millipede said:

If I didn't know that, and I didn't, is there anything in the pictures that would help ID them? Looks like in some areas along the coast of Louisiana and Texas there could be some overlap making it a frustrating bird. While looking in Sibley, just drawings, it shows great-tailed as being more purplish on the body and the boat-tailed as being greener. My untrained eyes, and the lack of other ID marks pointed out in the guide, would have me guessing great-tailed. Though while looking at Sibley's it seems the supercillium (if I spelled that correctly) looks good for boat-tailed on the female and the dark eye is good for the gulf coast boat-tailed...  but I'm rambling. I guess if I'm ever in the overlap area I'll be reporting a lot of boat-tailed/great-tailed... ha.

The eye color, as you mentioned, would be the first and most reliable thing to look for in any overlap area on the Gulf coast.  Boat-taileds in that area will have dark eyes, Great-taileds will always have yellow eyes. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IvoryBillHope said:

The eye color, as you mentioned, would be the first and most reliable thing to look for in any overlap area on the Gulf coast.  Boat-taileds in that area will have dark eyes, Great-taileds will always have yellow eyes. 

11 hours ago, millipede said:

As for the crow... Studying the branches(I know how dumb I sound) the birds look to me like they are on the smaller side, combined with what you heard, I'd want to call them fish crows... BUT...  that's just speculation so I'd agree with crow sp. as was mentioned.

To add to that... anyone that ever reports to eBird, if you can be certain of a bird ID by call(even if you don't see it) you can still report them being present.

@IvoryBillHope explained it well. Learning subspecies is useful and important in scerios such as this. 

12 hours ago, akiley said:

1,2,4 are westoni Boat-tailed Grackles. No Great-tails in FL

Yes, crow sp. for 3

Thank you, akiley.  I actually meant to type "Boat-Tailed" for confirmation in these pics--I was basing ID on eye color.  But there are Great Tailed Grackles on the central/northern Gulf Coast occasionally.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban snipe said:

i like the grackles

Me, too!  Especially enjoyed the abundance of GTGs in San Antonio and Costa Rica.